Author Topic: Restoring the old man's Firebird  (Read 7609 times)

Offline PokeyJR

Restoring the old man's Firebird
« on: June 16, 2017, 05:18:02 PM »
I recently acquired my (now passed) fathers 78 Formula Firebird and have taken his nickname (Pokey) and plan on restoring it in his memory. In the middle of July I am going to enter it into the local Show 'n Shine as a kind of last hurrah before the car gets tore down. In this build I'm favoring more practicality than originality. This will be my first undertaking of a project this serious. I've done other "tinkering" but nothing to this scale.

OK so a little bit about the car; when my dad bought it in 2012 it had a sbc 350 in it(not sure on the year yet). It's a manual and has Hurst T-tops. the guy that owned it previously had done some restoration work on it (new carpet, headliner, and back seats reupholstered) that is all that I am aware of at the moment. The headliner has since fallen apart. I hope I can find the build sheet somewhere, though I'm pretty sure it is the original color. I hope I'll be getting some pictures up soon.

Offline PokeyJR

Re: Restoring the old man's Firebird
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 01:34:32 AM »
Got some pictures of her today, now if I can just figure out how to upload them with my phone.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 01:38:35 AM by PokeyJR »

Offline PokeyJR

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 02:58:09 PM »

Offline NOT A TA

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 03:39:13 PM »
Looks like a great car to start with! Sorry for your loss of dad.
John Paige

Dear Not A TA,
This is Tin Indian's wife. Would you please stop posting pictures of your car? Especially ones with er, ummm, sidepipes. I'm dizzy already and have to get up early in the morning.  :-X

Offline Bman

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 08:05:28 PM »
That's in really good shape! Keep posting pictures along the way, the compliments and comments really keep you motivated. Take lots of pics when you take it apart. I took a bunch but always seemed like i never had the right angle lol. Good luck on the project!

Offline PokeyJR

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 08:52:44 PM »
Thanks guys,  right now I'm using it as a daily driver so hopefully I can find something to use instead of it. I'm getting really ancy to start on the project. Gotta wait on that car show at least  8) .

Offline sylviashea

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 03:14:40 AM »
Hello!  I enjoyed reading this thread! Restoring the old man's Firebird is quite essential to learn about!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 05:38:54 AM »
Could even be original engine, the chev engine was standard on Formulas in '78. Will look very sharp if repainted same colours.

Offline Steele59

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 08:48:08 AM »
How is the restoration coming along?

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 04:03:40 PM »
I am also curious as to how this is coming along!!
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline PokeyJR

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 07:35:17 PM »
sorry guys i have not been able to make much progress with her. It's been rough and I've had to change living situations so its been hard to find time. i did get some new seats in as well as wheels and tires and i have a plethora of engine parts to build one after i get the block machined so i am moving forward just nowhere near the pace i want to go.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 10:14:43 PM »
I'm not sure I accept that apology......what are your plans for it, basically looking as new and original?