Author Topic: My 81 TA Restomod  (Read 7405 times)

Offline Deezelcaddy

My 81 TA Restomod
« on: March 30, 2019, 07:48:39 AM »
Hi to all. My project began 9 years ago with the purchase of an 81 305 trans am roller. The body seemed super solid, I found out later that was not the case (more on that later). It was a factory t top 4spd car. Over the next two years, I hand built a 383 stroker motor from a 72 corvette with all the fixins’: forged crank, h-beam rods, aluminum heads, Weiand intake, Holley carb, hooker ceramic headers etc. I also had a super t 10 built by the local 4spd guru at Hoss’ gear shop with all nos parts. I had the rear end gone through. The existing ring and pinion and auburn locker were like new, so they stayed. I put all new body and spring bushings throughout and got the correct small block shaker fit to the motor. . My 15” snow flakes were wrapped in new rubber and finished with new caps and lug nuts. I then took the car to my painter for an all black paint job. We quickly found out that my “solid” roller had a few secrets. At some point, it looked like they slid it into a pole and smashed the right rear quarter panel. I have to give the PO credit. He was a master sculptor with tiger hair! It was obvious there was some putty in the quarter, but I was surprised to see a softball-sized chunk fall out during sanding. So, that quarter was removed and a new quarter, rear left corner and tail panel were welded in. Then the painter slowed down. It is 7 years later and I’m told the car will be finally finished next week. I’m told 7 years is a long time for a paint job. I tend to agree but it’s water under the bridge. I’m just excited to get my car back. My vision May ruffle some feathers in the purist circles. I want a black on black, murdered out TA. I had him paint all the chrome, door handles, trim etc black. I also put a 77 nose on the car. I just like it better. I have the 81 nose if someone wants to put it back to original. I ordered a matte black hood bird for the car too. In my mind, every TA needs a screamin’ chicken, but I wanted mine to be subtle. I also have a complete horse collar 77 interior for the car. My plan for the car moving forward is to finish the suspension: all new front end bushings and components, lowering springs and billstiens at all 4 corners. A complete interior that I will pick up from TA central at spring Carlisle. I also want to re wire the entire car. There is some spaghetti under the dash. I’ve rewired  many Jeep Cj’s and they use the exact same harness, so I feel comfortable with that portion. I also have to re-dye all the interior plastics. I have all the sem products to do so. Finally, led lights all around and I think it will be ready to melt those new tires. This site has been great for info all along in my Resto journey. I will find the sticky on posting pics and get some up ASAP. A small housekeeping note, the registration questions still think it’s 2018. Thanks to all for all the amazing advice on this site. It is an asset to the firebird nation.

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
Re: My 81 TA Restomod
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 10:35:11 PM »
sounds cool...any pictures!!
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline wateridw

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 06:47:17 AM »
Would love to see pictures of it.

Offline tenerife92

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 09:26:33 PM »
It sounds like a good project. Have you made any progress?

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 11:32:43 PM »
I think he’s gone. Hasn’t been on since April 4th
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed hardtop

Offline Deezelcaddy

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 12:58:22 PM »
I circled back for some wheel advice and I realized I never posted pictures. The hood bird took a lot of work to convert to one color and still work. I had a very talented graphic designer friend of mine create an original cut file for the decal. The young lady that installed did it dry. It was one of the more impressive things I’ve ever witnessed. It’s far from done. The front end is a little wonky. I have a new core support and nose ready to go on. Hopefully I can get the body tuned in after that. It has taken me a decade but it was worth it. Crazy fun to drive. Thanks again for all the advice and great posts along the way

Offline Deezelcaddy

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2023, 12:59:14 PM »
More pics

Offline Deezelcaddy

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2023, 12:59:51 PM »
More