Author Topic: 1980 Formula  (Read 4452 times)

Offline RipGiver

1980 Formula
« on: June 18, 2019, 01:16:17 AM »
I’m starting to gather information on restoring my 1980 Formula high school car.  It has been stored inside for nearly 30 years, Crazy. 

I need a new dash do to a lovely individual that decided to smash my dash up to take the stereo I had in it.  I really should have replaced it back in the 90s but didn’t have the money. Now they are hard to find and are about 800 bucks, but they don’t have stock. Do you guys have a good place to get quality OEM parts for my bird?

Also, taking feed back what engine/transmission I should put in her.  Unfortunately it came with a 301 auto and I would like to put a 400 in it.  Suggestions?

When I get my new place and drag her out I’ll get some photos posted.  So good to see fellow firebid owners still around.  I really love that car, and had so much fun in it.  Probably a good thing it only had a 301 in it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 05:15:28 AM by RipGiver »

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
Re: 1980 Formula
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 09:31:14 PM »
Couple options for dashes. Find a good used, repair the one you have or buy new though honestly I’m not sure the new option is available officially yet. Also could fix yourself depending on the damage.

Engine/ Trans is all about what you want and why. Plan on keeping it forever? Do what you want. It’s your car. Plan on selling? I’d stick with an engine that was an option during that time period. But its all in what you want.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed hardtop

Offline Maxthe222

Re: 1980 Formula
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 03:48:36 AM »
For the dash and parts? Unless it's super butchered, Speak to John D Lorean at second gen graveyard on facebook and ask for Al Kosch, he fixes original dashes to pretty high standards for half the price of just dashes. I keep referencing that guy because I really hate people throwing out their old dashes, they forget they haven't started making new ones. He also stocks a boatload of OEM parts. There are many facebook pages out there, once you find one you'll find the others. A lot of people dealing in good second hand OEM parts.

Might as well keep the original block in the garage for re sale value (or just because of the whole numbers matching thing)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 03:50:16 AM by Maxthe222 »
'87 L98 GTA
'79 Y84 WS6 T/A
'79 W72 WS6 F/A
'78 WS6 L80 T/A
'78 W50 L80 FRMLA
'71 FRMLA 400/4-Spd