Author Topic: Original Door Gap Spacing  (Read 2466 times)

Offline webjeepin

Original Door Gap Spacing
« on: October 27, 2020, 10:50:40 PM »
Hey all,  I am restoring a 78 Y88.  I am trying to set the proper gaps for the doors. It seems like the gap between the front fenders and the door are huge.  It seems like if I try to adjust them any closer the door will it the fender while opening.  How wide are the door gaps on yours?  Mine measure 5/16.  The gaps at the trunk are only about 3/16, just what I want. 

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
Re: Original Door Gap Spacing
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 11:43:25 AM »
You'll have to start by lining up the door to the body first and get what you're after for a gap. A paint stick is close to the right gap spacing for this. Once this is completed, you can move forward and adjust the fender to the door gap. You will have to loosen up the fender bolts to allow for adjustment. If it is really outta whack you might even have to loosen the rad support bolts and shift the whole works towards the body. Once you have pain stakingly adjusted the fenders to your liking, then adjust the hood. This may also result in more tweaking of the rest of the parts but keep everything snug but not too tight that you can't adjust. Once it's all adjusted, Tighten up the bolts leaving the hood last.

Remember, these came right from the factory with piss poor gaping in the first place so anything you do will be an improvement.

If you have aftermarket fenders, this may or may not cause a fitment issue. Sometimes people have to elongate the holes to get them to fit properly but the key is to get the door gapped to the body first at the rearward side of the door and then adjust the front end!!

Take your time and take lots of breaks because it requires a ton of patience to do it properly and it can get very frustrating!!
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)