Author Topic: Stock appearing high output alternator?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Billablehours

Stock appearing high output alternator?
« on: February 16, 2021, 10:30:39 PM »

The car is a 1978 W72 4 speed. The prior owner installed a chrome high output single pole Powermaster alternator and I would like to replace it with a more stock looking natural finish high output alternator. 100 amp minimum.
Who makes one that looks closer to stock? Keeping a single pole is ok. I’m more interested in getting rid of the chrome look.
A part number would also be appreciated if possible.
Thanks

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Stock appearing high output alternator?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 05:51:49 AM »
If talking about actual GM Delco alternators, most  reman units use the cases off anything 10si or 12si so the numbers never match. But you can put the blade fan from a 10si on a 12si 80's type to backdate the appearance but get extra amps. It won't work the other way around in putting a 12si disc fan on a 10si case. Otherwise, there's a whole lot of the chrome type, made who knows where, with one or 3 wires, but also in various finishes. Others will comment on that type. I simply have my original 61A uprated to an 85A but appearing stock, nothing crazy for a stock car. No fans or stereo or big lights etc.
You can probably buy the exact unit you already have, just in bare alloy, if it works ok.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 05:53:25 AM by Aus78Formula »

Offline Billablehours

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 06:44:07 AM »
I may have answered the question with this one from Summit but I would need the blades off an original one. I wonder where I could get a stock blade pulley from.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-810344/make/pontiac/model/firebird/year/1978

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 06:57:12 AM »
The blades are probably fine, they were often zinc plated originally so leave as is or paint silver perhaps. Pulley will have to match fanbelt type, which is likely the same for most of this type with single row. Original for these was the cast dish type with dimpled finish, plenty replacements that will work, often the same as what is shown in ad. Or pull from an old used original alternator.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 06:59:15 AM by Aus78Formula »

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 07:54:46 PM »
This one has a few options but has slightly more original looking dished pulley.

https://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item_8/Early-GM-High-Output-Alternator-internal-voltage-regulator.htm