Author Topic: 78 trans am tach  (Read 3564 times)

Offline freebird

• "God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!"
78 trans am tach
« on: August 07, 2008, 09:49:23 PM »
Anyone know of a quick fix or trick to get my tach working? Power leads test good. Is this a common problem?
Wayne

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: 78 trans am tach
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 11:00:04 AM »
Did you measure the power at the 12 volt terminal of the tach?  There's usually a fuse between the fuse box and the tack (on the pink wire) that can blow.  If you've got power, the service manual recommends a test at the distributor whereby you connect a light bulb to the tach terminal (ground one connector of the bulb).  As the RPM's increase the bulb should grow dimmer.  I really don't like the test and would rather connect a hand held tach to that terminal and see if it registers.  If it does, disconnect the line from the distributor from the tach terminal and connect the handheld unit.  If the handheld unit registers again, you've got a bad tach.  If it doesn't, you've got a bad lead.

There's only two wires to contend with.  I recommend buying a cluster off ebay to have for spares and testing.  They aren't that expensive.  Sometimes being able to hold something in your hand and look at it takes all the mystery out of it.  See, if you had a spare cluster it would be an easy thing to connect the tach and see if it works.

I keep lots of spare things around....like headlight switches, gauge clusters, defogger timing relays, power window relays, ignition switches, wiper switches etc.  Makes life a whole lot easier.

Offline freebird

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 06:33:12 PM »
Thanks for the info. My carb is at Cliffs high performance for a much needed rebuild so I'll try your tips when it gets back.
Wayne

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 10:55:43 AM »
Thanks for the info. My carb is at Cliffs high performance for a much needed rebuild so I'll try your tips when it gets back.

.....dont hold your breath, took almost 8 months to get mine back!!!   ::)    he does great work but i think it's time to hire some help, 6-8+ months to rebuild a carb is outrageous.
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's

Offline freebird

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 10:47:06 AM »
8 MONTHS !! Hard to work on my TA with mittens on ! Oh well , q-jet tuning is mostly witchcraft anyway , better left to someone that knows what they're doing.  Great site by the way ! Top notch people & great info . Thanks everyone !
Wayne

Offline 78w72

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 03:29:41 PM »
freebird: hey i am in north east iowa, not many members here from these parts.  yes, this is a great site & you will find many knowledgable people here that are happy to help with your issues or locate parts for you etc.

as far as the carb hopefully you wont have to wait that long. i sent my carb to cliff in nov of 06 with an estimate of 4-5 months, within 2 weeks that timeframe quote became 6 months or more. apparently he confused what he was actually supposed to to my carb, he put it in the complete restore group & all i wanted/needed was a rebuild & calibration. he also will replate everything on the carb for you but mine did not need that.     long story short i didn't get it back untill middle of may & thats because i hounded him & exposed the mix up. otherwise i would have had a "completely" restored carb that would have cost $200+ more & took 8 months.    again, he does great work but i think he may be slightly overwhelmed with the workload & can easily mix things up & put you without a carb for what seems like forever in the spring & summer.

good luck & welcome to the site!!!
78 w72 ws6 4 speed
81 turbo pace car
lots of other past t/a's

Offline freebird

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 06:54:08 PM »
Just posted with "ta collector " from Lakota Ia. There's a few of us from the tundra here!
Wayne

Offline ta collector

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 07:13:48 PM »
Just posted with "ta collector " from Lakota Ia. There's a few of us from the tundra here!
we need more of us in iowa and minnesota
1967 firebird
1976 Trans Am 50th Anniversary
1979 TATA
1991 Trans Am GTA
2002 Trans Am Collector Edition #1358
2008 G8 GT
1972 Chevy C/10