Author Topic: 77 door pull straps  (Read 7137 times)

Offline Trevor02TA

77 door pull straps
« on: February 26, 2011, 12:37:23 PM »
How are these installed? Mine were laying in the trunk when I bought the car. I think I may be missing some peices or something. I've got some metal straps that are approx. 1"x13", the pulls themselves, 4 chrome ends, and 4 covers that snap into the ends.
It looks to me like the metal straps were screwed to the back of the door panels, but do they screw into the chrome ends somehow? What do the chrome ends screw to? It looks like they have screw marks on them.
As I re-read this it sounds confusing to me, but I hope you guys can help me out.  Thanks
76 T/A   12.30's or 10.90's on spray
77 SE T/A  stock
02 ws6 T/A  13.0's

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
Re: 77 door pull straps
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
the metal strap on the back side of the panel . the screws come from the back into the chrome clips.  the door pulls dont screw to the door frame.  ( bad design if you ask me )  what holds the center of the panel to the door is the armrest bracket.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:00:42 PM »
No way Doug.  There's a big screw that goes through one of the holes in the strap and then through that crappy plastic retainer and into the door panel on each side.  If you don't install that, the handle will last one pull.  But I agree with you, it's a really bad design, but there are lots of bad designs on these cars.

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 05:20:48 PM »
 the strap ends go through the strap, 2 screws go through the strap and end cap to the door metal, then plasic retainer clips over that to button it up. very sturdy design i dont know why they ended with the 78 and up style that almost instantly broke from the factory.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 05:37:33 PM »
all the ones I have ever parted didnt have any screws into the door frame.
when I took the door panel off the pull came with it.   and the end caps are threaded.

I'm going to go look at my 77 door and see if there is screw holes in them.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 06:26:05 PM »
the strap ends go through the strap, 2 screws go through the strap and end cap to the door metal, then plasic retainer clips over that to button it up. very sturdy design i dont know why they ended with the 78 and up style that almost instantly broke from the factory.

I've never seen them installed that way.  I have seen them installed the way Doug mentioned, but with one big screw in the middle of each retainer.  

In owning a Firebird since 1978, I've never broken an interior door handle/rest.  The one on the passenger side broke once though.  It's because people don't close the doors properly.  You have to stop pulling before the door closes.  If you pull through the close cycle you'll eventually break the handle for sure.  Yeah, that was a crappy design too.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 06:29:00 PM by ta78w72 »

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://home.comcast.net/~rwhitejr/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 09:09:36 PM »
I think you guys are talking about two different door pulls. Doug is talking about the one that has a stitched vinyl covered thin metal brace and I think Russ is talking about the big fat plastic door pull that has formed vinyl like the dash. There four combinations of door pulls. Strap kind up to 76, strap kind 77/78, early model standard interior lower door panel only and 79 up big bulky one pull and break kind.

What's she wearing now? Come on!
1976 Black 455 4 speed (current project)
1976 White 400 Auto (original)
F-body stuff stashed everywhere.
Always buying/selling/trading  just ask!

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 09:17:41 PM »
It sounds like you actually have the kind in the 2nd pic. Is that correct? if so, Big long flat piece of metal goes behind door panel. One screw with a big round flat head into each chrome buckle from the back. Two screws on each end of the metal strap holding it to the buckle from the front. Then snap your plastic covers over each buckle.

Offline y88rick

• Lifetime Member
  • f bodies suck. Don't buy one lol
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 09:38:28 PM »
77 was a stand alone year on these too. 70-76 had a screw holding them on yes and one screw going into the door. my 77 was unlike that and had 2 screws going into the door at each end of the strap.
Too many birds, not enough food.

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 09:38:58 PM »
I have the 77  end caps .   but the same set up as your pic.    

77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 09:51:17 PM »
Yeah they changed the design mid year on 76. So its possible that some 76's,  and all 77's and 78's got the 2nd design. The strap type door pulls were mounted entirely to the door panel. If you took the upper door panel off the door pull strap came too.

Oh the change was the buckle and the stitching. thats all

Offline Tin Indians Rule

• Tech Staff
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
77 was a stand alone year on these too. 70-76 had a screw holding them on yes and one screw going into the door. my 77 was unlike that and had 2 screws going into the door at each end of the strap.
Then somebody rigged it I'd say. 77 and 78 were the same

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 09:57:41 PM »

Two screws on each side would make it very strong.  Funny, though, my daughter's 77 had one screw going into the middle.  I think her set up was original.  When I pulled the panels they had the original backing paper over the door.  Although I think the drivers side had been removed before.

Doug, I don't think what you described is the correct method.  There just isn't enough holding that strap to the door.  There has to be at least one screw through into the sheet metal of the door.  Otherwise, that strap will pull right off.

Also, the endcaps on my daughter's car are chromed plastic.  She has the deluxe interior if that makes a difference.

77 and 78 weren't the same.  Totally different.  That's why I don't care for the 77's.  I like the 78 interiors much better.  I also don't like that two tone camel interior on the 77's.

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 09:59:31 PM »
isnt the 78 the one piece door panel ?  78-81   , or Im having a brain fart, maybe...
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 10:00:15 PM »
isnt the 78 the one piece door panel ?  78-81   , or Im having a brain fart, maybe...

You're right.