Author Topic: Deadening Insulation?  (Read 12106 times)

Offline PA Formula 78

Re: Deadening Insulation?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 07:44:14 AM »
Justin where did you get your FatMat from.  Did you buy it off Ebay?
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD (daily driver)
78 Pontiac Firebird Esprit - mild 350, 4-speed, hardtop
77 Plymouth Volare - mild 318, auto, t-tops
64 Plymouth Valiant - built 360, push button auto (future project)

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 09:10:05 AM »
ebay
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline '78 LadyBird

• Adv. Member
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 05:56:39 AM »
Update:

Heidi was just spotted at a local Cadillac dealership purchasing a new car - she was over heard telling the salesman: "Just give me the quietest best insulated Caddy you've got on the lot so I don't have to think about what to insulate my Trans Am with anymore!"

Hahahaha, I don't really care about noise, but when I put the Flowmaster's 40's in, I am wondering if it will be louder then the radio when turned on, plus it may even help with insulation being I don't have A/C in the car, so maybe it will keep it a wee bit cooler because of the interior being black.

Do you insulate under the headliner too, or just use Jute?  Or leave it be?
Proud owner of
1978 Silver TA WS6/W72
1984 Firebird S/E
2000 Firehawk, #696
1954 Ford Skyliner

New Pictures added...
LINK TO OUR GALLERY
http://www.78ta.com/gallery2/main.php/v/See+Ya/

Heidi

Offline kc79ta

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 07:38:24 AM »
I have t-tops, so I did think the little bit of roof area was worth it. I know I seen a post in the past about doing the roof. It makes sense for a non t-top. Just not sure how they did it and still made the headliner fit ok. Any sound damping you put down on the floor will be a big improvement over the crap that came stock. The self adhesive stuff will bond to the metal, and make a big diff.
Keith

Offline ScottD3

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 09:08:44 AM »

Offline Coach Mike

• Bringing this bird back after a long hibernation!
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 09:53:11 AM »
I think that once the heat gets in from the windows, it won't matter about the insulation on the rest of the car ... it may even hold more heat because of the insulation since you don't have A/C ::)
'78 Formula in Martinique Blue
'95 Coupe in Red
'06 RX8 in Copper Red - only 'cuz they stopped making Firebirds

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 09:13:36 AM »
Sure, there's heat that comes through the t-tops and windows, but you can use the "260" air conditioning....2 windows rolled down at 60 mph  :) . Actually if I'm driving a car without a/c in hot weather, the windows will have to be rolled down.

But you do need insulation to keep the road and engine heat and noise down.
Steve F.

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 09:19:16 AM »
Ladybird, this just occurred to me. If you don't want to have think about it too much, you can buy pre-cut floor insulation from the Pontiac restoration parts places which is ready to just lay into the car, which is similar to the original. Here's an interesting page that describes the original floor insulation and compares it to the reproduction stuff: http://www.firebirdtransamparts.com/techinfo/bingo/options/quiet/quiet.htm
Steve F.

Offline ScottD3

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 10:32:25 AM »
It is still hot in the car here in GA. but most of the time I ride with the tops out and windows down so the A/C isn't much help.

Offline TAZ

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 11:00:10 AM »
Just insulated my doors yesterday - $16 foam/aluminum HVAC self-adhesive roll from Home Depot, enough to do both doors.

Every little bit helps. Other than water shields our cars literally have zero insulation from the factory, unlike most modern cars today.
The familiar theme music plays, the clock and big eye fly by, & Rod Serling's voice chimes in - "Enter one ordinary man: artist, husband and father. A full-fledged member in the sorority of dreamers who's been driven to the very brink of The Trans Am Zone

Offline '78 LadyBird

• Adv. Member
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
And plenty of Duck Tape, right?
Proud owner of
1978 Silver TA WS6/W72
1984 Firebird S/E
2000 Firehawk, #696
1954 Ford Skyliner

New Pictures added...
LINK TO OUR GALLERY
http://www.78ta.com/gallery2/main.php/v/See+Ya/

Heidi

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 07:43:52 PM »
Duct Tape will not be needed. Just tear the paper backing off and apply. It is self adhesive.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 07:52:07 PM »
Might have to be careful that it's not too thick or it could hold the upholstery panel out too far.
Steve F.

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 05:09:48 PM »
Hey guys, I've reviving a dead thread here, but there is too much good information and knowledge in this existing thread to start a new one.  I found this thread when searching for "insulation" and "sound deadener."  I am in the process of replacing floor pans, carpet, insulation etc.  I understand that the fatmat mentioned in this thread ( I believe I will be using this product as well) does not insulate against heat.  It only does sound.  Will the jute backing on new carpet be enough insulation against heat or do I need to consider yet another layer to add in my car for heat and sound insulation?  Thanks a lot.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 02:19:03 PM »
I'm currently in the process of insulating my car as well. I've come up with some tips, I'll list them at the bottom.

The Jute padding on the carpet I bought is in the spots where feet will be. It may help insulate, but I believe in terms of the carpet it's main job is to be floor padding, which is Jute padding's same job when installed in a house floor.

Also a good thread on the sound deadener subject: http://www.78ta.com/HTAF/index.php?topic=36815.15

Just a quick outline of what I said in that thread, I purchased a sample of FatMat and a sample of ThermoTec (sold at the speed jobs like Summit Racing, Jegs and cheapest I found it was Amazon). FatMat is stinks a lot more than ThermoTec. ThermoTec is a dead ringer for Dynamat but at half the cost. I believe FatMat is a mixture of materials including asphalt. If you go the FatMat route, be careful where you use it. Anywhere that may reactivate/melt the FatMat you may re-introduce the stinky smell. Butyl rubber will also have a smell, but it's much more palatable and is what the factory used for some spots as well.

Just keep in mind what your goals are. If you are trying to insulate and minimize sounds from outside, the EZ Cool / closed cell foam aluminum backed insulation is the cheapest and best way to do it. If you want to deaden sound and insulate, sound deadener like FatMat/ThermoTec/Dynamat is the best way to do it. If you want to achieve both, you need both products.

Remember that sound deadening and lowering sound levels are two different things, if you want to achieve both you need to address both with different products. Like the walls in the office I sit in now the walls lower the sound levels of the offices next door but I can still hear deep voices, books dropped, and door slams. This is because the walls have no sound deadening in them. So the wall and insulation may lower the volume of sound from the offices next door, they are not killing the deep base sounds. Radio studios use heavy rubber mats against the walls to deaden those sounds, butyl rubber and asphalt can achieve the same for our cars.

The aluminum spaced from the surface is what is achieving the insulation. Both sound deadeners and the closed cell foam with aluminum achieve this, though the closed cell foam will insulate better since there are 2 rows of aluminum and it's spaced apart further than the sound deander.

I'm personally doing a multiple product approach. Originally my plan was to cover 30-35% of each metal panel with ThermoTec deadener, followed by foll coverage of Closed Cell Foam Aluminum Double sided material TAZ is using. I purchased mine from http://www.lobucrod.com/ called EZ Cool, came with a roll of aluminum tape to tape the seams with as well. It's cheaper to buy at Home Depot/Lowes/Menards though.

But plans and execution are two different things and my plans have changed now that I'm actually started installing the deander and insulation.

I am now putting sound deadner 100% coverage along the firewall and rear deck lid. Beyond that I am installing deadener at about 70-85% coverage over the floor pans, center hump, and 100% over the rear wheel wells. I'm then installing deadener anywhere I have gaps/cracks I want covered. Then I am taking the closed cell foam aluminum backing material and covering those panels where I did not install deadener 100%, as well as full coverage across the bottom floors and the rear back seat. Essentially, deadener in high heat areas (firewall), speaker vibration areas, and any flat/large panels, and closed cell foam in flat areas where deadener is not covering the area 100%. All gaps of aluminum deadener or closed cell foam are taped with aluminum tape.

My tips

Cut deadener into rectangles/strips: At first I was cutting patterns out of the ThermoTec deadener to cover areas such as the firewall. I quickly learned this is a very hard way to go about it. I eventually found that you're better off cutting the deadener into strips and various square/rectangular sizes then like a puzzle apply each strip in spots where it covers the panel best.

Closed Cell Foam Tips: It does not bend as easily as the deadener, so plan on using it across flat spots or outside curves. I cut my sections of closed cell foam to fit over a section and then use aluminum tape to tape it to the deadener I already put down. If you do not have deadener to tape the closed cell foam to, you will need to use a 3m adhesive to glue the closed cell foam to your floor body with. I'm avoiding glue as much as possible hence the additional deadener coverage than I originally didn't plan for.

You can cut deadener with an utility knife, it will dull the blade quickly though. Straight cuts are easier, circles and shapes are harder to do.

Closed Cell Foam can easily be cut with scissors. Closed Cell Foam between the door panels and the door is perfect for this application since it will not get damaged if it was to get wet.

You want to cut your aluminum tape with scissors. Ripping it like normal tape makes it really hard to peal it later on.

Here's a picture from last week when I first started. I'll get some more pictures when I'm done with the deadener and about to install the closed cell foam.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.