Author Topic: '78 Bumper Restoration  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Coach Mike

• Bringing this bird back after a long hibernation!
'78 Bumper Restoration
« on: January 20, 2013, 11:07:58 AM »
I'm looking to either repair or replace my bumpers on the '78 and wondering what needs to be done to ensure that the paint won't crack if using either the original or used bumpers?  My bumpers do have some aged areas with the paint worn off and the yellow cover material showing through from exposure, but there are no cracks or tears all the way through them anywhere on the surfaces.  I have searched and found advice on the 3M materials for surface repair, but worried about paint durability on the surfaces long term as I plan to keep the car for a long time, but it won't see exposure to rain or snow any more ... hopefully  :)

Thanks,

Mike
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:47:05 PM by Coach Mike »
'78 Formula in Martinique Blue
'95 Coupe in Red
'06 RX8 in Copper Red - only 'cuz they stopped making Firebirds

Offline BlackTransAm

Re: '78 Bumper Restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 12:28:13 PM »
 make sure it hasn't shrunk .  a lot of 79 bumpers shrank and the pin holes no longer line up.
You see them usually sagging in the middle
 I used the 3m repair material on on esanded filled sanded filled , it was beautiful
then I  went to fit it and it had shrunk. I was in hurry so I bought on of those fibergalss
repros and had a bodyman hang and ffnish it.

Offline kev 190164

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 02:24:42 PM »
hello. how do you rate the fiberglass ones do you still use all the steel work behind them. i think this fourm sells the welting

Offline Coach Mike

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 08:00:54 AM »
Has anyone got any experience with these fiberglass reproduction front bumpers at The Parts Place:

http://thepartsplaceinc.com/ocatalog/part.asp?VID=8&YearList=1978&Search_Keyword=&CatID=4&curpage=3

How's the fit and durability?
'95 Coupe in Red

Offline BlackTransAm

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 08:30:40 AM »
 I thought it was nice but the body man was not impressed,  you have to reuse the hardware for mounting and license plate.
 It came out nice , and you cant tell the difference unless you touch it ,
 I had a very experienced body man hang and finish it. I'll  get pics and post them.

Offline Coach Mike

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 08:48:56 AM »
Pics would be great! I have seen some that were repaired and the paint often shows the work underneath, so I'm leaning toward going new on the front as that is usually a first impression when you look at the car.  I checked Year One too and they want over $700 plus shipping!!!  Out of my range.  The one from The Parts Place is $350 plus tax and I can pick it up as Dekalb is close by.
'95 Coupe in Red

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 03:27:22 PM »
I'd love to hear some opinions on the reproduction 77/78 bumpers as well. Also curious if anyone's used the ones in the Ames catalog that are gel-coated "Flexiglass". They want $450, but if it saves me a day or two on labor at a paint shop and looks good for another 35 years then obviously it's worth the coin.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline BusDriver

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 01:34:40 PM »
I wasn't aware those fiberglass noses were available.

I think I'll try one of those when the nose restoration time comes. The 'glass will be stronger, easier to work with, and I won't need to buy the special filler materials that the urethane will need, assuming i can get it close enough to correct shape to use anyhow. They keep the original mounting and crash bar intact, so no safety concerns.