Author Topic: new carpet installation ?  (Read 2218 times)

Offline 1976bober

new carpet installation ?
« on: March 25, 2014, 10:12:35 PM »
Is it possible to tuck the new carpet under the front kick panels without removing them ? If I get the carpet with the xtra pad on it can it go over the original deadener or is that to thick ? The original pads on the floor is in good shape under the carpet . Thanks

Offline hada76

• Adv. Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
Re: new carpet installation ?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 10:39:09 PM »
should be able to work the new carpet in with something like a putty knife. are you using any additional product (like fatmat ?) I wouldnt think the original padding would cause any fit problems.
'76 T/A 455 4sp   sold
'78 T/A Y88 auto  sold
'79 T/A WS6 4sp
'70 Z/28 4sp

jeff

Offline Hitch

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 06:33:30 AM »
I was able to leave my kick panels in.  Like Hada said, just use a putty or something to tuck it up in.
1978 Trans Am WS6, Hurst Tops, black on black

Offline 1976bober

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 09:54:37 PM »
Is all ACC carpets precut no matter where they are purchased ? The video on TA indicates it is already cut to size !!

Offline Hitch

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 04:16:46 PM »
Yes, I'm pretty sure they are. You'll have to trim out the bolts holes, console, etc.
1978 Trans Am WS6, Hurst Tops, black on black

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 03:49:42 AM »
You can order it not cut, that's what I did and think mine was also through 78TA here. Many of the carpets are made to order anyway, simply as they are popular so always in demand, or the opposite, unusual colours that are only made when ordered. Either way, I asked if the hole be left out of mine for dimmer switch, as mine no longer there, and that the console not be trimmed. For an extra fee they could have added another carpet wear panel but it was fairly expensive as took some setting up as not a typical request. Looking back I probably could have had it added but that's what mats are for. I also asked it not to be trimmed in length or width, apparently sometimes done slightly, not sure if that changed anything though.