Author Topic: Alarm sounding when battery hooked up  (Read 1523 times)

Offline brewski

Alarm sounding when battery hooked up
« on: August 25, 2020, 03:33:49 PM »
I just purchased a 72 Trans Am. White/Auto. When I went to look at it, the guy had the battery disconnected (Ground). When he hooked up the ground, a buzzing and pretty loud alarm sounds. On as long as the battery is hooked up. It feels and sounds like it's coming from the area of the brake booster. He stated that he drained and refilled the tranny, and after that, the alarm keeps sounding. Sounds strange to me, but I guess it's possible. As well, the shift cable is messed up. Probably a complete failure of the mechanism. Won't go into drive. Reverse is all the way back where drive should be. Thinking perhaps its a position sensor alarm or something like that. Haven't had a chance to investigate it yet, but am hoping for ideas to perhaps same me some time. Thanks!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Alarm sounding when battery hooked up
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 10:29:04 AM »
Is it the seat belt alarm or a faulty door open, ignition on alarm that needs adjusting? It's behind the main gauge cluster.

Offline brewski

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 02:21:19 AM »
So it turned out to be the key/door alarm that sits on the firewall behind the brake booster. I disconnected one of the three wires and silenced it. I’ll come back to it later to fix it. On to more fun and exciting things for now!

Offline brewski

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 02:25:07 AM »
The shifting issue was due to the shift cable coming out of the support bracket down at the tranny. Simple fix!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 12:21:26 AM »
I think the door plungers can be adjusted just like a brake switch. Push most the way out, let the door close onto it and push in to correct depth.