Author Topic: Rear seat removal???????? Seat cover opinions...........  (Read 5747 times)

Offline HoopersTA

Rear seat removal???????? Seat cover opinions...........
« on: April 26, 2006, 07:41:34 PM »
I am in the midst of removing most of my old interior to install new, awaiting my carpet, but I have what is probably an easy question for anyone that has done it.  How do you get the rear seats out, looks like they are held in by springs?  I cut my old carpet around it til I hear back from someone as I havent gotten my new carpet as of yet, probably in a day or two (HOPE HOPE).  Also does anyone know are those seat covers they sell easy to install and do you have to be a seamstress to do so?  Or can a guy with basic knowledge of sewing (I can iron a Trans Am patch on a Tshirt LOL) do this himself.  Thanks alot for any help.
rive it like you cant wait to work on it again, and stole it too.

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Re: Rear seat removal???????? Seat cover opinions.........
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 09:40:30 PM »
Push on the front of the seat (towards the rear) with your knee and lift.  Sometimes you have to push very, very hard.

Offline HughJass

• Geoff
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 10:16:30 PM »
If you go to http://www.78ta.com/build.htm it shows how to get them out when looking for your build sheet.
You will have to push hard!
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

79 W72 WS6,  work in progress - nicknamed Lucy

Offline hesster

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 12:12:01 PM »
I just did this.  It can be VERY difficult sometimes.  Use a large prybar or 2 by 4 and stick it under the front of the seat at the very front, pry rearward and push down on the seat at the same time.

Offline 428 78T/A

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 11:49:14 PM »
The seat cover replacement isn't as intimidating as it may seem. If your going to use the vynal, let it sit in the warm sun a while to soften and it will be easier to stretch. And get about 150 hog rings and a good set of hog ring pliers.
piccoli : "I can fix it. My dad's a television repair man, he's got an awesome set of tools"

Offline TRAN5AM

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 07:38:18 AM »
Quote from: 428 78T/A
let it sit in the warm sun a while to soften

That is also a good tip when installing weatherstripping. When it is shipped and stored in a bag, it takes on folds and creases. I wish I had taken the new weatherstipping out of its bag when I first got it for my El Camino. It would have made the installation a lot easier.
Steve Frey

"Put your seatbelt on, I want to try something.
I saw it in a cartoon one time, but I think I can do it!"

Offline Zulu

• http://groups.msn.com/TransAm1978
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 10:01:04 AM »
Here's a little tip that I always add to the subject of rear seat removal. For the lower portions of the seat, when pushing back toward the rear of the car, it is possible to overshoot the hole through which the seat frame releases. When that happens, the frame will be held into place in the same fashion as before pushing at all. You'll have the impression that you still need to push harder because the seat won't release upward. Fact is, you can push passed the release hole and the frame will recatch on the opposite side of the opening.

I discovered this when removing my back seats. I was pushing to a point that I thought unreasonable but the seats still wouldn't come out. I pushed with about a 1/4 of the force and they popped right out.

Push just a little and lift toward the ceiling. If it doesn't release, push just a little harder and lift. If you push real hard to start with you might run into the problem described above. It still may take a fair amount of force as already pointed out. My only point really is that it is possible to apply too much backward force. Just something to be aware of.
 1978 TA W72 4sdp, WS6, Orig Owner -
- If there's nothing to do, I believe in doing nothing -