Author Topic: aftermarket carb  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Klatt87

aftermarket carb
« on: July 31, 2022, 04:56:24 PM »
So I just got a 78 numbers matching Pontiac 400. I want to do just a carb replacement, what would be the one to get? I am looking for basically the same as stock, I'm not sure the specs either. I tried looking around with little success. Thank you!

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: aftermarket carb
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 08:50:23 PM »
So you want to find the correct Quadrajet to suit your car?

Offline Klatt87

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 09:01:49 PM »
Yes. One that will work for my vehicle. No issues with the shaker. One with performance upgrades would be fine too.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 12:16:00 AM »
There's many that will work, some are more correct than others for numbers or year, all can be upgraded internally to suit current setup.
17058264 for regular 400 Auto, 17058263 for W72 Manual, 17058266 for W72 Auto are the original 1978 numbers. There's other carbs to suit late 70's Pontiac engines that will also suit and can be rebuilt to suit. While they likely cost more, the correct carb will also be worth more with the car, and simply work as it should, and everything fit where and how it should. Did you have a carb on it now?

Offline Klatt87

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 05:07:38 AM »
I do have a carb on it now yes. It’s the original one, which is making me think I should find someone to rebuild it. That way everything stays number matching. Hmmm it’s tough to rebuild right, especially for a first timer lol.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 05:18:13 AM »
Yes, if you already have the right carb, or a suitable one, then you are already well ahead. Find a carb builder. It would be the same if trying to find a carb anyway.

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 09:32:36 AM »
Depends on what kind of condition your carb is in as to how difficult it is to rebuild. There really isn’t a lot to them all things considered but the trick is knowing what you need to do for your setup. There are plenty of good resources out there to help you with that. First, here’s a link to a YouTube video/channel that has lots of good assembly/disassembly info.

https://youtu.be/_sx2XUi6kVg

If after that, you feel like taking it on yourself, give Cliff Ruggles a call. He used to do rebuilds but retired from that aspect. He still sells parts though and can offer advice as to what you need to rebuild your carb to your engine’s specifications. https://cliffshighperformance.com/
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed hardtop

Offline gtolou

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 08:19:06 AM »
I like this rebuild video too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sml0Ur9Csf8

Offline Alive From 75

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2023, 12:03:29 PM »
Yes I know this is an OLD thread but in case someone has the same question I figured I would post this response. The video referenced is nothing but a "refresh" of the carb. If you want to unlock the potential of the carb, your engine, AND keep the original Q-Jet buy the Cliff Ruggles book on Q-Jets. Follow the instructions in the book and you will have a BEAST of a carb that is exactly built for your engine. Even if you have a bunch of upgrades done to your engine the Q-Jet will keep up with it easily. The only trick to the process is to be honest with yourself when you are looking at how powerful your engine really is. Hope this helps someone.
      Ron