Author Topic: Question about solid body bushings  (Read 5839 times)

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
Re: Question about solid body bushings
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 09:30:08 AM »
I put mine on the" stock" way and think it raised the car up.  I think over the past 30 years the stock bushings compressed.  I think I am going to put the on the 1/2" lower and see what happens. 

Offline FF273

• Gone in 160 seconds....
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 02:01:19 PM »
I did the install at the stock setting with the frame connectors and no drama at all with the shaker. Night and day feel with the car now, way nicer imo.

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 02:11:36 PM »
just got off the phone with Dave,  hell-of-a nice guy.

he told me when lowered it should be about the same as a set of 35 year old crushed bushings .   so your really not lowering the car.   
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline SoonerTA

• Adv. Member
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 10:13:53 AM »
just got off the phone with Dave,  hell-of-a nice guy.

he told me when lowered it should be about the same as a set of 35 year old crushed bushings .   so your really not lowering the car.   

I felt like it raised my car up a bit.  I may have to flip the bushings over.

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 11:01:07 AM »
That makes me wonder a bit about the height of the solid body mounts. Are they made the same height as an original body mount that's new and off the car? Or are they made the same height as a new compressed body mount that's installed on a car. Being rubber, the original body mount height is going to be somewhat compressed when installed, tightened and the body weight on them, even when new. Of course solid ones aren't going to compress at all, so making them the height of newly installed, and thus compressed, rubber mounts would be the correct way to make them it seems to me, if you want to have the original body to frame height. If they're made from dimensions of an uncompressed new mount off the car, they would be too tall.
Steve F.

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 11:38:35 AM »
I asked Dave about that too.  if you want to put a pitch on the frame , like stock. you can shim them at the firewall. 
he said hes never had a problem with this bushing.
I'm going to put all the body parts on first to check the fit.  the front bumper mount (to the frame) may need a little help, but there should be enough adjustment in the brackets to get it on.

like the inner wheel wells  they bolt to the body and core support
fenders on the body and core suppot
the only thing that moved up it the bumper but the adjustment is there. and if not make it work.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 07:13:27 PM »
4 SPEED--- you happen to have more pix of this mount install?
Was there a problem with fan/fan shroud clearance?
Sorry late on this thread---fairly new to this site and I have been Trans Am Busy (chasing part, cleaning, painting, machine work and so forth).
I would truly appreciate any info on this mount install, problems, adjustments and suggestions.

I should be doing the mounts and suspension (hoping) around the end of February.

-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2011, 09:12:16 PM »
your not late..  I dont have the 400 in yet.  it will be awhile. so I cant tell ya anything yet. 

BUT  look and see how crushed the rubber is now, and look at the fan to shroud gap.  if your around 1/2" on the rubber bushings you'll be good.

the only thing that will need moved is the bumper mount brackets.   keep the bumper bolted to the fenders, take 2 of the 4 bolts out on the brackets and the other 2 loose.  thats if your just swapping them out on a driver.

I'll keep ya posted.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 07:03:32 PM »
I bolted the front end on today.  I left off the core suport , and bolted the bumper to the fenders. then with some help of my overhead hoist I lifted the bumper suport section into place.   there is enough adjustment there to install it.

once on I took the bumper back off and installed the core suport. then put the hood on for a test fit.
it all looks good.
next I'll need to see how close the shaker is going to be to the hood.  that will be a few weeks.

77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 09:29:46 PM »
Sir---- thank you for the details on these solid mounts. Since I asked you about having more info---- Transmission went out on my Grand Prix GTP and set me back $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. So - I'm way behind where I thought I would be on my T/A. But, I do appreciate you posting the information. Looking forward to seeing more.  Thank you for sharing
-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 09:39:24 PM »
No prob  ;)

I did also find out I need to modify the frame rail connectors,  they hit the floor and cant bolt them into the spring cup.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 10:13:58 PM »
No prob  ;)

I did also find out I need to modify the frame rail connectors,  they hit the floor and cant bolt them into the spring cup.

Oh' great--- how is that suppose to work then?  That mount point is vital. I even ran bolts with shims through frame/connector horizontally.
Or are you going to modify the space on the connectors? Will that cause an angle problem (twist problem)?   
-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 10:40:31 PM »
well  the connectors I have , I've had them for along time.  there not Pro-Touring connectors.  there the Summit brand.
so I think Im going to sell the set I have and build a set. and run it to the frame instead of the spring cups.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline Andy78TA

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 09:39:29 PM »
i just bought these last week but they are on backorder from pro touring. I figured it was going to be a pretty straightforward install but now im worried ha
78 T/A pontiac 400- Custom Headers - 2.5 Pypes Violator header back system - Edlebrock Performer Intake - Edelbrock 1413 Carb - Head work - pro comp roller rocker - CVF bracket and pulley kit - Custom system - Recaro T/A interior