Author Topic: Aftermarket A/C  (Read 8189 times)

Offline T/A 6225

Aftermarket A/C
« on: October 10, 2012, 09:20:32 PM »
Looking to start the winter projects on my '79.  My plan at this point is a "sleeper" street/strip car.  Stock appearing exterior/interior with an extra kick under the hood.  My previous cars I have always removed the heat and a/c as my cars are only driven during the summer and it is much cooler to cruise with the windows down. I am curious though if anyone knows of or has a heat and a/c system with a smaller box on the firewall.  I prefer a cleaner look and appreciate the extra room to work around the motor but have not really found any good options.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Aftermarket A/C
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 10:09:54 PM »
All that exists on my firewall for heat and Ac

Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline T/A 6225

Re: Aftermarket A/C
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 10:20:23 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I like the look of that can you give me a little info about your setup?

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Aftermarket A/C
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 10:23:27 PM »
It's the vintage air kit, specified for camaros, but everything fits the t/a except for the controls, which I am working on some that will use the stock location and look. But as you can tell my car is modified with a shaved firewall ls motor and other things....
Eroc

Offline T/A 6225

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 10:36:56 PM »
I had looked at that but did not want to use an aftermarket control. Had not spent the time yet to figure out how to make it work but after seeing what it looks like it may be worth the time.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Aftermarket A/C
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 10:54:23 PM »
It's not hard, some slide potentiometers and some soldering and done...
Eroc

Offline LilSki

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
how well does the vintage air setup fit under the firebird dash? And does it completely replace the factory heater box or work with it?
Kevin
79 Trans Am: (77 nose), WS6, M-21, 461, Hotchkis TVS, PTFB Contol arms. 
85 Trans Am: Vortec 350 w/LT1 cam/T56, TPI conversion w/Megasquirt II.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 08:50:43 PM »
how well does the vintage air setup fit under the firebird dash? And does it completely replace the factory heater box or work with it?

fits amazing. had to take the back section of the glove box off, but again not more than an inch... and it takes place of all the factory duct work, heater box, under hood components... the whole hvac system....
Eroc

Offline LilSki

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 09:01:02 PM »
Hrmmm sounds good. May have to look into that for my 79 next summer. Hard top, dark blue, black interior... yeah you get the picture...

I plan on fixing the AC in my 85 at some point and get all the gauges, vacuum pump, etc... Once I figure that out I'm sure a vintage air unit would be a piece of cake.
Kevin
79 Trans Am: (77 nose), WS6, M-21, 461, Hotchkis TVS, PTFB Contol arms. 
85 Trans Am: Vortec 350 w/LT1 cam/T56, TPI conversion w/Megasquirt II.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 09:06:03 PM »
vintage air is pretty much plug and play..... gotta modify a few things from camaro to firebird, but thats about it.....
Eroc

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2021, 02:12:34 PM »
Hello eroc022,

Sorry to awaken a very old thread. You mentioned that you cut 1" off the back of your glove box for the vintage air kit. I see the vintage air kit they now sell comes with a replacement glove box. I suspect it achieves the same thing, removes about an inch. Did you plastic weld what you cut, or just leave it open to the back?

Thanks!
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2021, 09:43:48 PM »
Unless it is aimed at Firebird, the glovebox liner is probably still to suit a Camaro like the original kit. May have changed.

Different reason, but the RHD converted setup in my car saw the glovebox lining also shortened. Naturally, it had been done quickly and cheaply and most would be happy about it. All they did was lop off the end wall section, and fold a new rear wall out of aluminium, fold the sides around and riveted. It's neat, but can always be done better. Turns out it also had clearance to the AC setup and heater box so I picked up a couple of original spares, will alter a new one when the time comes.

I could grab a photo of the altered liner if you like, just for ideas if you have to go down that path.

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2021, 12:33:05 PM »
Hey Aus78Formula,

Awesome details! If you can snag a photo conveniently then cool but do not go out of your way. I am going back and forth with keeping the map pocket gauge cluster or moving the gauge into the glove box and putting a map pocket for the factory look. I am finding the buttons for the new vintage gauges I got will need to be closer and more conveniently located than in the glove box.
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2021, 11:37:24 PM »
Fairly crude but done quick 40 years ago with no attention to detail that an owner might do.

Firebird RHD modofied glovebox liner (3) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Firebird RHD modofied glovebox liner (2) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Firebird RHD modofied glovebox liner (1) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Firebird RHD modofied glovebox liner (4) by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 09:03:17 PM »
Thanks! From the inside it looks factory, which works for me. Now I just need to be patient for the Vintage Air kit to arrive.