Author Topic: power locks?  (Read 2617 times)

Offline 17transam

(black is beautiful)

Offline BlackTransAm

Re: power locks?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 10:53:20 AM »
If you DO NOT have power locks this will work, you get no switches inside.
it works by the lock plungers are the switches. I actuallly added power locks with remote to one, this would be a 100 times easier than
adding power stock power locks with a remote.

So for this set up all you need is the rubber door boots and to cut holes in the body kick panel area to run the wires through to the doors.
Stock power locks with the door switches take 4 relays and a lot of wiring but it can be done. I did it. ;)

My only concern is if those power lock actuators have enough power to unlock these old GM doors, you may have to buy new
actuators and adujst the conecting rod. I bought a Goodmark repop form Carquest and it didn't have enough power to unlock the door :'(
 Another problem is those cheap fobs where out and the receivers go out also, so have a back up supply for both
 let me know if you need any help with it.

Offline 17transam

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 11:33:10 AM »
My car does have stock power locks, I was thinking if it was possible to use that as well with the stock so I would have a remote for the locks, so I guess that dosent work with the stock locks right?
ty
(black is beautiful)

Offline BlackTransAm

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 11:52:53 AM »
My car does have stock power locks, I was thinking if it was possible to use that as well with the stock so I would have a remote for the locks, so I guess that dosent work with the stock locks right?
ty
No you have everything you need, for that $150.00 you could buy a nice system, that if the receiver goes out or the FOB goes out you can replace  it.
 All you need is a remote entry system. But you can have alarm(which I did) remote start, ignition anti-theft kill. I only used locks ,trunk and alarm on mine.
 You need 4 relays for the locks, 1 for trunk and lots of wiring
 PM if you want to do it, it not easy but  nice when done.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 11:54:43 AM by BlackTransAm »

Offline BlackTransAm

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 05:43:08 PM »
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:37:59 AM by BlackTransAm »

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 01:20:51 AM »
If spending $150+ on replacing and repairing used original items where the lock motors may be worn out, consider one of these kits. They have less current draw and upgraded components to original and redesigned locking rods to suit. I haven't used them but know of a few that have, it also comes with keyless entry fob. There's also a kit with the addition of a relay I believe to allow the trunk release to function by fob as well, no doubt can arm an alarm or immobiliser if fitted too.

http://www.modoinnovations.com/power_door_locks_keyless_entry.html

Offline BlackTransAm

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 08:40:48 AM »
Thats a nice complete set up, did these actuators work well for them, I had trouble finding an actuator that
had enough power to move these Fbody lock mechanisms, I bought a new Goodmark and it couldn't do it.
They show to relays but I am almost sure you need 4 if you already have switches.

Offline TAKID455

2nd Gen Engineering
Specializing in Suspension and Driveline Performance Engineering
Custom/ Racing/ Restorations