Author Topic: Suspension  (Read 4547 times)

Offline TransamUK

Suspension
« on: April 24, 2020, 11:16:08 AM »
Hi Guys! Needing some help! Any advice from across the pond would be greatly appreciated.

Looking at putting new suspension and disc brakes on my 81 Trans Am.  Going to fit a 383ci stroker blueprint engine.
Can anyone recommend any set-ups?

Looking at 3

1. https://www.heidts.com/part/71-81-fbody-camaro-firebird-front-suspension-subframe/

this is easy to install and comes with engine mounts for the new engine and comes with Wilwood disc brakes - looking at $8500 incl. shipping to UK !

other options :

2. Hotchkis 80034-27 Suspension Handling Package Stage 2 TVS Pontiac Kit -  $3,901.89 plus discs $877.49 (dosen't ship)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hotchkis-80034-27-Suspension-Handling-Package-Stage-2-TVS-Pontiac-Kit-/333550397221?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

3. or the Pro-touring Fbody 70-81 1LE kit - cant quite figure out from the site what i would need.
http://www.pro-touringf-body.com/Suspension_kits.html

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Suspension
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 11:49:24 AM »
Wow...those are some expensive options.
Are you just wanting to upgrade the suspension, rebuild to stock, set up for autocross, etc...or ?

Does your car already have rear disc brakes?
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline TransamUK

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 12:02:52 PM »
Wow...those are some expensive options.
Are you just wanting to upgrade the suspension, rebuild to stock, set up for autocross, etc...or ?

Does your car already have rear disc brakes?

Hi its a 81' - 4 disc brake - no drums TA but its all been stripped by a 'muppet mechanic' - engine everything -  its not even rolling. I'm obviously having to fit new - i'm looking to travel round Europe in it and use it as my daily driver. As i'm sticking a new engine in thought i'd need good brakes and suspension to support and strengthen chasis etc.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 12:20:35 PM »
Just based on the age of the car ...AND since a bad mechanic got hold of it also...I agree with your plan.

You could probably save a lot by going with a stock suspension (it was a great design anyway) and just replace your springs (front and rear) and update the front suspension/brake parts with new vs the ones you're looking at which are geared more towards pro-touring ($$$).

A set of subframe connectors would also really strengthen your suspension
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 04:55:17 AM »
Those full race suspension kits aren't really aimed at a car you simply want to cruise around in, plus you wouldn't have the money left to put fuel in it. x2 on subframe connectors as a minimum, the rest is just maintenance, replacing parts but can be upgraded as needed, but no need to overdo it unless you have that as the cars purpose.

Offline Maxthe222

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 05:19:42 AM »
The first one with that red subframe is a big waste, I wouldn't recommend that one. I don't know much of an advantage a kit like that would offer you, seems like something only a camaro owner would be silly enough to buy. Looks more for a off the deep end pro-touring build and even then a properly tuned and refined regular chassis with upgrade parts here and there would outperform that kit. (Again, it's way too overpriced.)

Secondly, the Hotchkiss set is only a marginal if not equal to the stock WS6 sway bars frame support etc, it is more aimed at camaros with inferior handling or vehicles that did not come with WS6 suspension such as the eariler models or base models. I suppose the rear leafs and bushings would benefit you, but I suggest doing it piece by piece and not outright buying some giant kit for thousands of dollars that you will not need.

PTFB does have some very nice hardware, and the 1LE kit is a good place to start in terms of upgrades which can bring your second gen up to spec with a 4th gen T/A, and like a fraction of the cost of all the other stuff.
'87 L98 GTA
'79 Y84 WS6 T/A
'79 W72 WS6 F/A
'78 WS6 L80 T/A
'78 W50 L80 FRMLA
'71 FRMLA 400/4-Spd

Offline TransamUK

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 08:19:11 AM »
Thanks - that's really handy advice.

Will 'swerve' the Hotchkis and the Heidts.

Having trouble getting hold of the pro-touring f-body guys atm.
Was looking at this as an alternative.

https://www.ridetech.com/products/streetgrip/1968-1972-gm-a-body-streetgrip-system/

Anyone familiar with this kit?

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 08:48:37 AM »
Dave is hard to track down, hasn't returned my last email either. Very busy and not all that visible online but their products speak for themselves. Don't be put off simply by the slow response. He prefers phone calls, but of course, not everyone is from the US with these things, as shown by most of the members in this topic. I doubt he's on this forum, some of  the Pro-Touring types or TAC.

http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?action=profile;u=110
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 09:05:49 AM by Aus78Formula »

Offline TransamUK

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 10:53:57 AM »
Dave is hard to track down, hasn't returned my last email either. Very busy and not all that visible online but their products speak for themselves. Don't be put off simply by the slow response. He prefers phone calls, but of course, not everyone is from the US with these things, as shown by most of the members in this topic. I doubt he's on this forum, some of  the Pro-Touring types or TAC.

http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?action=profile;u=110

Thanks i did phone him too.

As an out-of-towner, do you have a shipper you use - or recommend a shipping method? Not everyone ships parts - i have quite a few things to get from different shops!

Offline Maxthe222

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 08:28:45 PM »
Plenty, just not to the UK  :-\
'87 L98 GTA
'79 Y84 WS6 T/A
'79 W72 WS6 F/A
'78 WS6 L80 T/A
'78 W50 L80 FRMLA
'71 FRMLA 400/4-Spd

Offline tenerife92

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 10:45:38 PM »
I'm looking for available suspension at 4wheelonline. I think it's better to look at aftermarket sites since they have more to offer than on eBay. I'll update you once I found a compatible one.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 10:57:06 PM »
Do your own research as to what parts will suit your car, not what application lists it on ebay or other sites. Many times they are incorrect, incomplete or take into account what might fit your car with mods but not original to. That same guy is in a shop listing thousands of parts for all manner of cars doesn't make him an expert in just one make.