Author Topic: My Frst Firebird  (Read 1471 times)

Offline HVFDFIREFIGHTER

My Frst Firebird
« on: March 29, 2021, 08:25:25 AM »
Hello everyone.  I am new to the Firebird club.  I purchased my first Firebird last Saturday.  1980, Esprite.  I will be asking a lot of questions.  First off, on the dash on the the very right is a black switch, when I push it up, the green light comes on then the switch slowly moves back down.  When I press the switch down, the green light goes off.  What is it for?  When I turn it on nothing seems to happen other than the green light comes on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: My Frst Firebird
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 08:31:39 AM »
First...welcome!
Second, it's Esprit...no E on the end
Third, that is a rear window defrost switch (or should be). Do you have a defrost grid on your back window?
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline HVFDFIREFIGHTER

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 09:45:27 AM »
I don't know if I have the wires in the window or not.  I never thought to look.  The doors and back window have a heavy tint film on them, the front window has a 6-8" strip across the top.  So dark that I am sure it will not pass New York inspection.

Offline HVFDFIREFIGHTER

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 09:58:08 AM »
In the dash working left to right:
first big hole: does not have any gauge but has a face plate with three different measures, oil, temp, and something else. 
first small hole is a non working gas gauge,
second big hole: speedo/odd
second small hole: working gas gauge
third small hole: ammeter

in the center console just laying there are three gauges all working, (temp, ammeter, and I believe oil.

Is this correct:
If I put gauges in the dash,
first big hole: tach/ clock
first small hole: oil and temp
second big: speedo/odd
second small gas
third small ammeter
and I would probably need a new printed circuit for the cluster of three?
how to the two small cluster hook up?  just hardwired?

Offline HVFDFIREFIGHTER

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 09:59:37 AM »
other gauges

Offline HVFDFIREFIGHTER

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 03:42:00 PM »
Yes, That is the switch to the rear defroster.  I do have the lines on the rear window

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 09:45:23 PM »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 09:55:42 PM by Aus78Formula »

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 09:52:35 PM »
You obviously have a mismatch of several gauges from several models from several years. Rather than repair or replace, they've just added another. It might be worth pulling the facia and all the gauges and testing what works or not and putting to one side. Some types are more common than others to find good used, likewise only a few variations are available new in repro form. Gauge pods and wiring harnesses can differ over the so not always an easy swap over by simply plugging in. It also depends if you want original Esprit gauges or rally set. Possibly part reason the dash has been swapped to an earlier year, more gauge options and machined finish. A printed circuit board will not exist for combinations of non-original gauges. Once you pull them out and see what has been done it will be easier to know which gauges or parts to look for to redo yours, which to repair or replace.