Author Topic: Undercarriage Cleaning and Refinishing Suggestions Needed  (Read 13738 times)

Offline TeamPontiac88

Re: Undercarriage Cleaning and Refinishing Suggestions Needed
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 05:07:51 PM »
so what did you guys use on the underside. por 15? Im at exactly the same point in cleaning up the underside of my 80Ta. I powerwashed the grease off and will be getting underneath tomorrow with the wire wheel. Fortunatly i dont have much rust except for the rear panel, which im replacing.

Offline 80Formula

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 07:57:44 PM »
so what did you guys use on the underside. por 15? Im at exactly the same point in cleaning up the underside of my 80Ta. I powerwashed the grease off and will be getting underneath tomorrow with the wire wheel. Fortunatly i dont have much rust except for the rear panel, which im replacing.

POR15 is used for what it's made for "paint over rust" If you have quite a bit of rust and want to do the quicky way to get it done, simply degreasing and POR15'ing the underside will work, but if you get all the rust and paint off, you would want to use something else

I went went eastwood's extreme chassis black

Offline TeamPontiac88

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 07:37:37 AM »
great! looks awesome! 

Offline Greenbird76

• The way Grandma wishes she could of ordered it!!
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 09:55:52 AM »
I went with Rustoleums flat black because it is nicely priced and always available.   I have a pint on hand for any areas that need touch up.  And after a year of driving it looks like it did when I first sprayed it.  Withstands chips well and once it is fully cured it holds up to any car lubricant or hydraulic fluid.

Offline 10thAnniversarySearch

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 12:26:16 PM »
I chose the more punishing route.  I've used the wire brushes, degreased sprayed with Prep and Ready, then painted with POR 15, now plan on spraying with self-etching primer followed by Black Chassis Cote. (semi gloss) 

Starting on the front third today.