Author Topic: Deadening Insulation?  (Read 12107 times)

Offline '78 LadyBird

• Adv. Member
Deadening Insulation?
« on: May 09, 2011, 04:33:46 PM »
Where do I get some for the interior?

Anything I should be looking for? 

Someone said a stereo store might have them.

Thanks for your help!!
Proud owner of
1978 Silver TA WS6/W72
1984 Firebird S/E
2000 Firehawk, #696
1954 Ford Skyliner

New Pictures added...
LINK TO OUR GALLERY
http://www.78ta.com/gallery2/main.php/v/See+Ya/

Heidi

Offline kc79ta

Re: Deadening Insulation?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 04:47:37 PM »
Is this something like what your looking for? Sticks to the floor under carpet, doors, trunk. Whever you want that will be covered or not seen.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-thermocoustic-material.html
Keith

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 04:51:29 PM »
Dynamat, Phatmat (sp?) are two off the top of my head. I believe you're going to pay a premium for those. Second Skin (I think that's the name) makes a sprayable deadener/insulator. And yes stereo stores will carry it but again, you'll pay a premium getting it from them.

You could check online:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/products/50/Installation_Accessories/Sound_Damping.aspx

I used the roll stuff from JC Whitney - cheapest I could find. Just put it down with spray adhesive and foil tape - probably cost around $70 or less at the time.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline '78 LadyBird

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 04:52:47 PM »
Ohhhhhhhhhhh!  THANK YOU!!
Proud owner of
1978 Silver TA WS6/W72
1984 Firebird S/E
2000 Firehawk, #696
1954 Ford Skyliner

New Pictures added...
LINK TO OUR GALLERY

Heidi

Offline T/A Kid

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 04:53:14 PM »
Someone on the forum was going to try some from one of the local building supply stores maybe they will chime in and help out, before I saw that I ordered some off ebay I think it was the Fatmat brand there was several different brands on there to choose from.
In memory of my big brother Jimmy
miss ya everyday bud.

Offline TAZ

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 06:56:30 PM »
Heidi,

Check your local Home Depot for Reflectix roll insulation. It's double layered aluminum with a bubble layer in between - very lightweight and easy to install using double-sided carpet tape and a roll of aluminum tape, and it cuts down on the heat and the noise. Very affordable too, unlike those high-priced stereo shop suppliers and ebay....comes in various size rolls. Shop and compare.....

You'll be amazed just how 'cool' your 'Bird will be afterwards!
I even use this stuff on the inside of my garage door to cut down on the heat in summer and help insulate it in winter - it's good stuff.

The familiar theme music plays, the clock and big eye fly by, & Rod Serling's voice chimes in - "Enter one ordinary man: artist, husband and father. A full-fledged member in the sorority of dreamers who's been driven to the very brink of The Trans Am Zone

Offline '78 LadyBird

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 07:15:35 PM »
Hey Now!!  That looks like a great idea!!  Taz, did you notice a difference with sound deadening?
Proud owner of
1978 Silver TA WS6/W72
1984 Firebird S/E
2000 Firehawk, #696
1954 Ford Skyliner

New Pictures added...
LINK TO OUR GALLERY

Heidi

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 09:40:29 PM »
I think you'll get better sound insulating from a butyl or rubberized type of insulation against the floor metal. That's why an original car has that thick asphalt type of insulation on the floor. But asphalt products can have an odor, so the better insulation uses the butyl or rubber material. Then the bubble type or foam type of insulation over that insulates against heat, since the air in those materials is a good heat insulator. The jute backing on the underside of the carpet helps with that too. So, to take care of both sound and heat, I think it takes those 2 kinds of insulation. I haven't seen one product that can do both jobs effectively.
In addition to the Dynamat and Fatmat, there's Raamat. You can read about all those products and more by Googling them, as well as the subject of sound deadener and heat insulation.
Steve F.

Offline TAZ

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 11:45:17 PM »
Steve you are correct - the asphalt stuff stinks - literally! I pulled out about 20 pounds of that crap that someone had put in under the carpet before I bought my car. It's basically diecut roll roofing.....yucch!

Heidi - yes, it did help cut down on the noise - I also bought two small rolls of the foam backed self-adhesive foil insulation that's used on HVAC ducts - again available cheaply at Home Depot. I used it on the side walls in the back going all the way up to the roof (since it's adhesive backed) and the foam backing conforms to the odd shapes easily. Also used it underneath the driver's floorboard for extra sound insulation as well.

Like Steve said there's all sorts of products out there to do the job - all depends on how much you want to spend. There's a product called Lizzard Skin that you spray on the floorboards in conjunction with another spray on product to create a heat and sound a barrier.

Some of the GTO guys I've spoken with at shows said they've gone this route to achieve 'Cadillac quiet' inside their Goats.....

One of these weekends I'm going to go back and get some more of the HVAC foam/aluminum rolls and insulate the inside of the roof under the headliner, and my door panels.....'cuz it's getting HOT already here in Oklahoma (95º Mother's Day weekend) and I'm planning on staying as cool as possible in my TA......
The familiar theme music plays, the clock and big eye fly by, & Rod Serling's voice chimes in - "Enter one ordinary man: artist, husband and father. A full-fledged member in the sorority of dreamers who's been driven to the very brink of The Trans Am Zone

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 08:40:44 AM »
Just something to be aware of....when you put heatshield/sound deadening/etc over top of the bolt holes for the seats, be prepared to have some fun getting the seat bolts to bite into the nuts in the floor. I ran into that when I did my car.

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Cecil07

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 08:49:08 AM »
I put the dynomat style material down... helped a little... in the end.. I ended up buying some closed  cell foam...and putting a layer down inside pretty much the entire inside.... now there is just T Top noise....

Offline '78 LadyBird

• Adv. Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 07:45:47 PM »
Well, thank you all for your inputs.  Now I have no clue what to do..........LOL
Proud owner of
1978 Silver TA WS6/W72
1984 Firebird S/E
2000 Firehawk, #696
1954 Ford Skyliner

New Pictures added...
LINK TO OUR GALLERY

Heidi

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 09:52:04 PM »
I think the first thing to do is put down one of those butyl rubber type of mats. That Eastwood Thermocoustic mat that KC79TA linked to looks good. So does Fatmat. That's mainly for sound deadening. Since sheet metal resonates sound, the rubberized type of mat dampens that. It's going to provide some heat insulation too, but it's mainly for sound.
To get more heat insulation, a foam or fiber product over that is good. Here are a couple that I like: http://www.lobucrod.com/  and  http://www.amazon.com/CSI-25070-Heat-Shield-Insulation/dp/B000RPG0DO

The lobucrod.com site has a fun read about a guy in Australia that used the heat insulation in his car.

Many people only use one or the other type of insulation, but I think by doing this combination, you get the quietest and coolest situation.

Then put your carpet over that and you're done  :) .  I'd trim the insulation materials from around where the seat legs sit, since you don't want the seats to sit on top of all that material. They should sit only on the carpet I believe.
Steve F.

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 10:14:03 PM »
Heidi,

I am going to pretend to be the expert since I think I am the latest one to do this. I have been in hiding for a little while.
  Heres what i have found out. I went to the Home Depot to get the asphalt stuff and you could smell the stuff before you saw it. Now imagine once your exhaust heats that stuff up.You'll never get the smell out of your interior. Plus it was like 40 extra lbs.

I went with FatMat. 50sq ft $70 shipped. Does the whole floor all the way from up on the firewall to the back of the rear seat and up half way up the sail panel area. I just used a utility knife to cut all the bolt holes out. It is self adheasive and has the heat shield. I think total was 11 lbs added. No real lasting smell.

Today I went and picked up the Jute padding(fabric padding as some call it)It is half inch thick and adds a lot of cushion and I am sure cut down on extra noise and heat coming through the floor.

Hope this helps.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline TAZ

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 11:23:02 PM »
Update:

Heidi was just spotted at a local Cadillac dealership purchasing a new car - she was over heard telling the salesman: "Just give me the quietest best insulated Caddy you've got on the lot so I don't have to think about what to insulate my Trans Am with anymore!"