Trans Am Information > DriveTrain

OVER HEATING

(1/3) > >>

llb8563:
my 76 400 4 speed all stock is overheating I replaced everything and even upsized and put a aluminum radiator on and it still go above 220 it does not puke anything out it just gurgles a lot. any ideas are help would be greatly appreciated
thanks

gonrand:
Possibly a defective thermostat. It is one of the common issues.

Wallington:
You'll want to prove temperature gauge is actually accurate, does the new radiator retain the shroud? Do you know the age of the water pump, and thermostat details mentioned prior?

Burd Turd:
What water pump you got on there Pounder?

jdreese3:
Just bought a 76 TA 455 last weekend.  Has new aluminum rad installed.  I noticed that there's no steam pipe installed, only the overflow hose going into the coolant overflow tank.  How important is the steam pipe?  Could that be causing my TA to overheat.  Temp gets up to around 220 and then the coolant in the overflow starts to bubble.  I can hear coolant running when the car shuts off and starts to cool down.  I also noticed that the top radiator hose (going to the stat) doesn't have any coolant in it until the car gets up to temp, then it starts to flow.  So sounds like i need to burp the system more.  But back to my original question, is the steam pipe absolutely necessary?  v/r  JD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version