Author Topic: power windows binding  (Read 1902 times)

Offline shreddinglicks

power windows binding
« on: December 07, 2020, 10:17:12 PM »
I'm nearing the end of a restoration on my 78 Trans Am.  I put the door window parts back with a new motor.  The problem I have now is the glass appears to be binding when I try to make it go up or down.  I can see the sheet metal the window cam is mounted to flex. 

Without the glass installed everything worked fine.  With the glass installed it still worked. 

When I installed the window sweeps and felt pieces the window gets stuck.  I'm not sure what to adjust at this point. 

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: power windows binding
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 12:13:44 AM »
A combination of new seals and guides, plus perhaps further adjustment needed but with worn out factory wiring. Often the old window motors weren't part of the issue.

https://www.banditpowdercoat.com/Downloads/stuff/GM_Window_Adjustment_Guide.pdf
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 12:19:43 AM by Aus78Formula »

Offline shreddinglicks

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 06:56:29 AM »
A combination of new seals and guides, plus perhaps further adjustment needed but with worn out factory wiring. Often the old window motors weren't part of the issue.

https://www.banditpowdercoat.com/Downloads/stuff/GM_Window_Adjustment_Guide.pdf

The adjustment seems good.  With the windows up it seems like everything seals and sits where I want. 

Weather strips are brand new.  The felt pieces are brand new.  The original parts are the window track, glass and regulator. 

Are you suggesting I run a wire directly off the battery and see what happens? 

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 11:07:08 AM »
The system works way better when relays are wired into the wiring so that direct power goes right to the motor. From factory all the power flows through the switch which creates a drop in the flow of juice.

There are plenty of relay right ups for the power window system that will hide out of the way, look stock, but make a huge difference with the amount of current being sent to the window motor.

As a test, yes, hook up direct power to the motor and see what happens. This will be just a quick check if the motor is the issue and not possibly something else binding the works!
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline shreddinglicks

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 01:28:12 PM »
The system works way better when relays are wired into the wiring so that direct power goes right to the motor. From factory all the power flows through the switch which creates a drop in the flow of juice.

There are plenty of relay right ups for the power window system that will hide out of the way, look stock, but make a huge difference with the amount of current being sent to the window motor.

As a test, yes, hook up direct power to the motor and see what happens. This will be just a quick check if the motor is the issue and not possibly something else binding the works!

I ran a wire from the battery to the motor.  The windows were flying up and down.  I guess I know what I need to do next. 

Offline shreddinglicks

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 01:28:38 PM »
Thanks guys. 

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 09:19:14 PM »
Yes, the addition of new seals and guides is likely just enough extra load on the system to show any weaknesses even if setup is pretty close.

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 10:42:52 PM »
Let us know how it goes
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)