Author Topic: Aftermarket A/C  (Read 8188 times)

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
Re: Aftermarket A/C
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 10:45:15 PM »
I feel your pain. I ordered my kit from Original Air. They said it could take up to two weeks to ship but it’s been that and still no shipping confirmation. 3-6 weeks for delivery.  :(
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed hardtop

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 10:55:36 PM »
I am am in week 10 of my wait, but they were frank with me and said 2-3 months before they could ship this kit to me. :(
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2021, 12:09:06 AM »
Holy crap! That would be brutal.
-Brian-

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2021, 08:13:48 AM »
What's the issue? Waiting on stocks and parts to be made, or to come in from certain countries?

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2021, 10:22:44 AM »
Good question, I bought it from Speedway Motors, they called me within 10 minutes of when I placed the order to ask some questions so I got the right kit (they are including a tri-nary switch since I am switching to 4th gen electric fans). The website just said delivery as soon as July 17th when I ordered. The Speedway Motors rep on the phone call said that Vintage Air has a large backlog and is running 8-12 weeks behind. It could be not enough labor putting the kits together, or waiting on a specific part, or a combination plus sales are up.  Its a pandemic and I am in good health, I can wait. Here in Ohio we haven't had that hot of weather this year, I think the hottest day I took the car out was 81 so far, most days have been in the high 70's, I would be driving with the t-tops off anyway. Any normal July/August in Central Ohio though temps are usually in the 90's with an occasional 100+ day.

Tomorrow is the Battle of the Brands show in Sunbury, it is slated to get up to 88 degrees, that's just knocking on the temps where I will want the AC when heading home, luckily I live 15 minutes away from that show. https://www.facebook.com/events/big-walnut-grill/6th-annual-battle-of-the-brands/260539605701802/
81' (78 clone), House of Kolor Jet Set Black, Pontiac 400 built by DCI Motorsports, FiTech EFI, Tremec 6 speed, 3.73 rear, YearOne 17" snowflake, Pro Touring F-body GT shocks/springs, hydroboost, factory 4 disc, Ram Air Resto + Thrust transverse exhaust.

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2021, 04:32:49 PM »
It’s been a little warmer in NW Ohio but you’re right, cooler overall this year. Too bad I’m not closer to that show. I’ve got the trans out of the car and on my bench anyway. How far do you drive for a show? Every year there’s a large show at a park near the GM plant in Toledo. Not sure how many cars but they give dash plaques to the first 1500 through the gate.I think I’ve posted about it here before there are probably pictures and a satellite view of the grounds. It’s called park n shine but it’s probably the biggest show in northwest Ohio. I go every year weather permitting.
-Brian-

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2021, 05:48:54 PM »
So far I have only taken the car out around Columbus, about 45 mile radius. If you checkout the site carshowtalk.com, that's basically my playground as far as shows are concerned. I want to do a Woodword cruise one of these years, which is a good 3.5 hour drive to Detroit. We need more shows like that, as a spectator, you sit in one spot and see different cars all day.

As a spectator, I've driven as far as Carlisle PA (good 6 hours). I will be at the Trans Am Nationals as a spectator this year. I can't make it to the Pontiac Nationals in Norwalk due to family stuff going on that weekend.

Also in September I will be at the Indian Uprising All Pontiac car show September 5th at the Polaris Quaker Steak and Lube. I have no excuse not to go to that show, its about a mile or so away.

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2021, 07:23:19 PM »
I’ve meant to go to Woodward too. Never been there but I’d like to go sometime. Never made it to the TA nationals either. I’ve meant to for several years but it never seems to work out. This year is still up in the air.
-Brian-

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2021, 07:58:08 PM »
The Vintage Air kit arrived! I may wait a few weeks before start installing it as I got a few shows I want to take the car to the next 4 weeks.

Aus78Formula, that mod to your glove box is pretty similar to the glove box provided in the Vintage Air kit. I will take pictures over the weekend but they pretty much molded their own glove box with a hallow opening in the back, then they made a cap that they put on the back that is then glued all the way around. From the inside it looks like the factory did it but from the back you can see the extra plastic reinforcements and glue holding it together. Quick comparison it looks like it is only 1 - 2" shallower than the factory glove box. I should say it's still functional, my idea of hiding gauges in there would not be very practical.

Thanks!!!

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2021, 06:33:42 PM »
Oooo good deal! I’m still waiting on my original air kit.
-Brian-

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2021, 11:26:39 AM »
I will be at the Trans Am Nationals next weekend, going Saturday as a spectator. I got a list of things I need, will be calling Ames later today to schedule pickup at the show. I will be taking the car apart to install the new AC system in mid October. I just got a manifold kit from Amazon for $33, I am now watching for a pump to come on sale between now and then. I think I read that AutoZone has a pump you can loan for free but if I can get a pump for $50 I will just do that and not feel rushed to return it.

Offline eviledolean

• Founder - Trans Am Corvette Club of Europe (1979)
    • Southwest Pontiac Car Club
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2021, 10:18:22 AM »
Enjoy the Nationals.  I've never been but it is on my bucket list. 
Founder & President: Southwest Pontiac Car Club - El Paso, Texas

FacebooK:https://www.facebook.com/groups/215103270561528

Web Page: https://sites.google.com/view/spccep

Email: edozogar@aol.com

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2021, 03:49:19 PM »
Was a good show, but perhaps about 10 degrees too hot. Talked shop with a few guys who have done the hydroboost swap and hydraulic clutch. Now I want to change my master cylinder to a Willwood with the ports on either side and re-do the lines at the master to the prop valve to make it look cleaner.

I saw some really nice custom made upper fan shrouds too.

One car had a nice trick panel across the whole top of the core support, really made the car look clean. It was a 72 Firebird formula 455 built by Butler with a TK0600, serpentine belt with vintage air and the lines were tucked in nicely into the outer fender. They came up from Alabama too, they better have gotten an award, that was one of my favorites there.

Vintage air wise, I saw 8 cars that I was able to identify were running this system and 3 them did not run the AC or heater hoses under the outer fender. I did ask a guy who ran his heater hoses in an LS swap (did not have AC) under the fender if it caused any paint issues with the heat, he has had it that way for 4+ years and it didn't effect the paint at all. He did that knowing someday he would get the vintage air kit but he hasn't bit the bullet yet. Saw a few cars for sale 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gens. If you were wanting to dive into a Trans Am, that show would have been a good one to find a car with good bones.

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2021, 04:23:46 PM »
Good deal. I didn’t make it down as usual but there’s always next year hopefully. I did install my Original Air kit over the weekend and got it charged yesterday. It was a bit of a pain to be honest. I’m not sure I’d go that route again.
-Brian-

Offline Angelo

• Mods and Rods
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2021, 05:54:37 PM »
b_hill_86, do you have pictures of the installation? Love to see how it turned out.