Author Topic: Dash wiring circuit 2?  (Read 1182 times)

Offline addictivewoodworks

Dash wiring circuit 2?
« on: April 22, 2020, 06:04:47 PM »
I have my dash and the wiring out of my 78 Firebird, I am going through my whole electrical harness. I just got done and started doing an audible test on the wires. Circuit 2 ( Ignition, horn relay and bulk head 12awg, 10awg red), When I test the circuit with my volt meter set on audible, I get a tone, then I touch one prong to the ground (all grounds on dash) I also get a tone, is this normal? I checked all wired and NONE are exposed or touching. It's not doing this on any other circuit, just on circuit 2. Circuit 2 should be battery circuit.

Offline Jefe

Re: Dash wiring circuit 2?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 12:24:12 PM »
Just shooting in the dark here, but... Do you have the 2 harnesses on the engine side of the firewall (back side of fuse block) still connected? Is the battery still connected? Are you running an ohm test? All power generally finds its way back to ground. Horns ground to the core support, which is then grounded to the battery. Without this ground, the horns would not function as the core support is isolated from the frame by the mounting bushings. Same with the body of the car. It is grounded to the engine via copper strap at firewall and also a redundant ground cable from body to trans/engine bolt. The engine is then grounded directly to the battery. Basically, any power needs to go back to ground through a component, not directly to ground of course. If you’re running an ohm test, my suspicion would be that you will be reading a high resistance back to ground, if not, you have a direct short somewhere.
Jeff-
Current project
1979 Firebird Formula / in the family since new
Previous projects
68 Chevelle
72 GTO
78 DKM Trans Am #127