Author Topic: Dash Lights  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Mr Blue Bird

Dash Lights
« on: January 12, 2021, 07:46:20 PM »
Can someone please help : I would like to add some LED blue lights to my dash , I have an 1981 Trans AM .... is there a conversion kit (I am aware of LED 194 blue lights) or the possibility of buying a wiring harness and adding these to my current lights. I am not proficient in a 12volt system , I will hire someone to do it , but I was hoping for advice.

Thank You

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
Re: Dash Lights
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 01:56:36 PM »
You should be able to buy direct replacement bulbs that just pop in that are LED. A google search should come up with some results
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 02:17:29 PM »
What he said.  Pop the old ones out and install blue LED’s.  Easy job.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 09:58:39 PM »
Some colours may be trial and error as to what looks ok and what is easy to read, some make the needles disappear.
The brighter LED tend to run warmer, but probably less than original bulbs anyway. Get the type that have the 4 sides also lit rather than just the face. Otherwise you'll have nothing but hotspots and a lot of these gauges ran off the back lighting of the housing to show the faces. No need for wiring harness, just swap them over. You'll have limited dimming abilities due to being an LED. You can reach these without removing the gauge cluster, just takes a bit of wiggling for access.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 10:01:46 PM by Aus78Formula »