Author Topic: Rock Auto VS local auto parts stores  (Read 7545 times)

Offline SavingTheBird76

• Adv. Member
Rock Auto VS local auto parts stores
« on: September 01, 2011, 09:34:21 PM »
Every time I call a local auto parts store..I get the same song and dance.
Phone rings 30 times,guy answer's and asks if he can help me.
I tell him what I need..he puts me on hold..answer's the phone again in 10 minutes. >:(
Service today is extremely poor.
I prefer to shop online with rock auto.
They have a bigger selection and better pricing..even if I have to pay shipping.
They don't carry high performance parts..but they always send the correct parts quickly.
Rant over. 8)
HAVE YOU SMOKED A MUSTANG TODAY?

Offline kc79ta

Re: Rock Auto VS local auto parts stores
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 05:49:42 AM »
Don't leave out Amazon in your search for parts. They have more then one thinks, good prices, and alot will ship free.  Was looking for a center link for my 79 and the best price I found was around $110+20ship=130. Found it at amazon for under $100+free ship. Also found most of the front end parts there. All made in the USA Moog parts.  And NO, I don't work for amazon. Just trying to help save $$$$. The $30 I saved on the center link paid for 2 of the tie rods.

Yes, I do use Rock Auto too for them hard to find parts, and thier wholesale close outs can be a steal. Just keep an eye on the shipping cost...it can rack up fast.
Keith

Offline BigJer

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 08:04:49 PM »
I also use RockAuto for replacement parts. Local guys don't have a clue-especially with a car with mixed parts(like an 81 with 73 engine)
I believe in my freedom and I believe in your freedom, when the two conflict,well...I believe in my freedom.

Offline 79ban1

• Bandit X
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 08:56:48 PM »
I see that most of the people that work in the auto parts stores if they can't look it up on the computer they can't find the parts. I'm thinking a lot of them don't have any automotive experience at all. I had 20yrs experience in the automotive industry and was working for NAPA and was being paid the same that some guy fresh out of HS without any car knowledge at all. It's a shame that companies don't care if you have knowledge and experience in this field when it comes to the parts houses. If you ask them for small block valve cover gaskets for an early chevy they still want to know what to know yr make and model. Then if you tell them it's in a 40's hot rod they really get confused.

Offline SavingTheBird76

• Adv. Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 09:32:59 PM »
The local stores should have a computerized parts locator just like rock auto.
Order the parts online..pickup in store.
No need to waste cell minutes on some goofball.
HAVE YOU SMOKED A MUSTANG TODAY?

Offline jenwhite

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 10:49:08 PM »
Every time I call a local auto parts store..I get the same song and dance.
Phone rings 30 times,guy answer's and asks if he can help me.
I tell him what I need..he puts me on hold..answer's the phone again in 10 minutes. >:(
Service today is extremely poor.
I prefer to shop online with rock auto.
They have a bigger selection and better pricing..even if I have to pay shipping.
They don't carry high performance parts..but they always send the correct parts quickly.
Rant over. 8)

haven't tried to purchase replacement parts in rockauto but I guess not all local auto parts you'll see has a bad customer service. So far I don't have any negative experience for this.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:51:41 AM by Hitman »

Offline billymichael

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 06:07:50 AM »
Rockauto is great! They have good prices than other auto retailers and they often offer 5% discount codes. Would have been great if they could have offered free shipping as well.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 09:43:54 AM by billymichael »

Offline 1976 SE SF

• Stealing home plate on a bunt
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 10:56:42 PM »
You had 20 years in the auto business and went to work for a parts store? The people that take that job usually don't know a thing about cars. If they did then they would probably charge mechanics prices. If you don't know what year your Chevy small block is then you shouldn't be putting it into 1940's cars and asking high school kids how it works. I worked at O'Reilly's for a year and came to understand how entitled people are to put their foot on you in order to make themselves seem superior. Chevy didn't put small blocks into 1940's cars so you know for a fact it won't come up in the computer and you know for a fact they're going to look it up anyways and you watch them do it specifically so you can make them feel stupid. I would have sold you the 1/4 paper gaskets for your valve covers just so they leaked all over your smell block.
7:6.1 is complete nonsense