Trans Am Photos > Restoration Projects

This is Ruby AKA "The Project"

<< < (3/25) > >>

Nexus:
Right on thanks Brian.

So the next silly question is what is the difference in cowl vent hood (top of firewall/ dash) between 72 and 79.

I have seen replacements for 70 - 73 and not 74 -81

Nexus:
Well took me awhile get them up here but here are some pics of what was accomplished a week or two ago

Thats it for now

Nexus:
So yesterday I removed the old patch I put in the floor on the passanger side. I put the patch in about 8 or 9 years ago when I first took the car apart. I then had a good look at the floor and the firewall before stopping for the night. Bedtime for the kids and the noise was keeping them up.

Today I removed the frame mount to get to the fender/frame support bracket in the last picture. This allowed me to reshape it using several hammers and dollies. I must have spent an hour and a half just on that bracket. Again, I'm sure the neighbors were thankful when I went into the house with all the noise I was making.

This leads me to my question.

Should I continue to try and hammer out the firewall around the heater core opening and down into the toeboards, or should I cut and weld replacement sheetmetal in there while I have access to it?

Let me know what you think

Nexus:
Here's some pics of the work

Check out the accident damage:

Nexus:
So what was hard to see in the pictures above was the fact that the firewall sheet metal was stretched from the accident it was in.

It was pushed up against the air intake tunnel that runs behind it.
Today I finally got myself organised and the confidence or balls in this case to attack the sheet metal with the torch for some old fashioned heat shrinking

Let me tell you it didn't start out pretty. In fact it got that bad that I almost gave up in favor of cutting and rewelding new sheetmetal in it's place.

So I sit here pretty damn proud of myself that one I didn't give up, and two I managed to not oly fix my mangled mess but was able to make the panel look relatively flat and achieve the shrinkage I was looking for in the first place.

Can't really tell too much from the picture but you can at least see all the torch circles

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version