Author Topic: Alternative LED Taillight "bulbs"  (Read 2984 times)

Offline cnj

Alternative LED Taillight "bulbs"
« on: June 23, 2019, 03:31:08 PM »
Hi.  New here and my first post, so I thought I would try to be helpful.  I recently bought my 3rd Trans Am, a standard issue 1977 with black paint, gold decals and firethorn red interior.  It is a base model that has a few options, am/fm stereo (according to the build sheet, anyway-there's a non-working plain old am radio installed currently), power windows, power door locks, air conditioning, auto trans.  That's about it.  She has 74,xxx original miles on her.  I will be doing several mods to her over the next few years, but the first thing I wanted to do, was to upgrade all of the lighting to LED, starting with the somewhat dim 1157's in the tail light assemblies.  I have used these bulbs in other applications:  https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/plasma6.html?attribs=87  (I hope linking is OK) and have been very pleased.  They are now in my T/A, and let me tell you, they are FAR brighter and more visible than the 1157's they replaced.  And a set of 6 is only $62.  If they hold up over the long term, I will be more than happy with the money spent.
  Just thought I would offer a less expensive option for those that are on a budget.

Offline b_hill_86

• Sterling to Starlight
Re: Alternative LED Taillight "bulbs"
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 10:46:47 PM »
Thanks for the info. I’ve often considered LEDs but haven’t pulled the trigger yet for a few reasons. One is daytime brightness and difference in brightness between tail and brake. If you get the time a video during daytime and nighttime might be helpful.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed hardtop

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
Re: Alternative LED Taillight "bulbs"
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 07:45:41 AM »
Thanks for the link. I'm always searching LED stuff...I am always unsure what to go as there are so many options nowadays
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)