Author Topic: what's a reasonable amount to spend for a 78 TA?  (Read 2833 times)

Offline rehmus

what's a reasonable amount to spend for a 78 TA?
« on: October 17, 2007, 01:14:35 PM »
Have you sold any TA's and gotten close to the FMV in the NADA guides?  I'm not planning on selling my TA, but I wonder about its value out there.

Offline Joker (§ir£Ğragon)

• Lifetime Member
  • When you think it can't get any worse...God laughs
Re: what's a reasonable amount to spend for a 78 TA?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 01:49:49 PM »
Well, I just looked it up online. Looks like NADA value is anywhere from $10,688 to $37k for a '78 equiped like yours. Quite a few do go for that money. Maybe not the high end, but they do get up there.
Larry

Offline Rebel 5150

• Flagler County, Florida -Viewer Discretion Advised
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »
The late 70s cars can get downright stupid money these days.  Its nothing to see a rustbucket "project in a bucket" car go for $2000 or more around here.   Seems like $9k to $20K is about average for a good driver these days, depending on options and drivetrain.
Harold - Pure Trans Am Nut

“Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.” - David Lee Roth

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 09:26:47 PM »
"The car is only worth what the next person is willing to pay for it"..... that is what I always say.  The prices are so all over the place.  We some cars going for some rediculous money, and some going for a song.  You look at Barrett Jackson and see a 1980 Turbo Pace Car selling for $45,000.  Then you see the same car on Ebay selling for $20,000.  Then you see the same car in your local paper for $12,000.  Some people REALLY want to own a car and when they see it, they will pay anything for it.  Another thing I like to say is... "Some people have more money than brains".  You will see some really rediculous sales out there, but that guy who purchased the car REALLY wanted to have it.   Everyone has the own "opinion" as to what the values of these cars are, but I would not follow any numbers such as the NADA values.  It is so hard to price these cars and the best we can do is give our "Best Guess" as to what the approximate value of the car is..... but that is all that it is... a "guess".  I don't want to get into a long conversation about it because I could go on for hours about the prices and values of these cars, but like I said.... it is worth whatever the next guy is willing to pay.  For example, I would not sell my car for less than $50,000.... is it worth that?... Heck no... but it is worth more than that to me.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 09:31:59 PM »
I agree with Brett, I"m not in the market to sell mine however, I've had several people ask if I would sell it.  I told them that the right price would bring a sale so they ask, how much?  I always say low 20's.  If someone wants it bad enough, like the pace car Hitman talks about, so be it.  I'll find another.
Rich