Author Topic: First post/first Trans Am and 15 years old  (Read 11645 times)

Offline 81Y84

First post/first Trans Am and 15 years old
« on: July 20, 2011, 09:24:15 PM »
My dad found this car and I wanted it for my first car. The work has yet to begin on any type restoration but do have it in the shop to rebuild the carb. replacing the carb and distributor to bypass the computer first, then brake lines, wheel cylinders and tires. Build sheet confirms a Y84 car with 4.9 liter 301 non turbo. I think only 1100 or so were built. I will have the only one in my high school and I can't wait to drive away with the tops off.
Pushing it out of storage and onto the trailer

Loaded up and taking her home

soaped up at the spray wash

After spray wash

after a hand wash at home

Hal Needham signed my visor on both sides

Dash bezel is 79 or earlier but my dad has already hooked me up and I just got the 81 SE gold dash bezel in from Randy Combs

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 10:48:00 PM by 81Y84 »

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
Re: First post/first Trans Am and 15 years old
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 09:52:50 PM »
Congrats again and nice to see you posting . You sure found one sweet looking SE

I suspect your going to be one of the more popular guys in school if you weren't already.

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 10:04:37 PM »
May I be the FIRST to day CONGRATULATION and a HEARTY WELL DONE! I can't BELEIVE how good that car looks coming out of a barn like that! That is one REALLY sweet ride. I like the brown on tan interior too. What are your plans for your ride? Are you going to put a 400 in it, or bring it back to stock? Just curious, and I know thats a long way as you're still in High School and everything. It's just me, but with the condition of the car and everything, if I were in your shoes I'd restore it to original and leave the original engine in it. That was my plan for my 78 that I bought, but it was so rotten I had to end up using mine for a parts car and build a 79 (Which unfortunately, is not going to be STOCK, but as stock as I can make it, with a few "tweaks" ;D ).

But I digress

SWEET SWEET FIND! And yes, you WILL be the babe magnet in school! Get with the folks on here and they'll give you tips about how to get the most out of your engine. If you have any problems just post here and me and the rest of the crowd of lunatics that hang here will be MORE than happy to help you out.

CONGRATULATIONS AND WELCOME! THAT IS ONE SHARP BIRD!

Gunner

P.S. : Guess I can't be the first to congratulate you. My boy Rainman beat me to it ;D
Better Living Through Superior Firepower

Offline banditalex

• Ohio Firebirds
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
awesome car, good to see another person my age here!
1979 Black and Gold father son project.

Offline 81Y84

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 10:46:28 PM »
Thanks for the comments. rust on lower driver fender and cracked bondo on driver quarter is the worst, could use a hood and though the paint looks great in pics it has its flaws. Not sure how to tell if motor is original but it was rebuilt in 1999 (have receipts) and put away in 2004. Seller said it has about 6K on rebuild. It started but would not idle. Has a manual choke so that could be the problem. A/C in the trunk but all there. Plan to leave it as factory as possible but as funds allow will work on it. Dash is horrible and plan to pull it and try to restore it using 78ta forum posts found and padded dash filler, can't hurt it. Interior plastic is dry rotted and flaky.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 10:52:21 PM by 81Y84 »

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 10:54:06 PM »
welcome to the coolest show on the net.   congrats on the best car you'll ever own.....
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline 80TAPaceCar

• This nation will suffer due to November 6th, 2012
    • 1980 Trans Am Pace Car
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 11:06:32 PM »
Nice TA, and welcome!

79 Chevrolet Corvette
80 Indy Pace Car Trans Am
80 Indy (Festival Car) Pace Car Trans Am

www.IROC-S.com
www.IndyHauler.info
www.TransAmPaceCar.com

Offline Bayou_Flyer

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 11:10:13 PM »
Welcome aboard! Great first post (no doubt due to listening to your dad talk about T/A's and everything T/A related for so long!). An antique muscle car for a first car is as cool as it gets. And while working on it will test the limits of your patience, and the ability to regrow the skin on your knuckles, always keep in mind the end goal you have.

You will not find a better group of folks ANYWHERE....the quality of the site and the character of the people here are top notch, so ask questions/take advice and build a super-cool car that NO ONE will have at your school!

Oh, on a side note, there are quite a few military/aviation types here for when you are tired of talking T/A's!
1975 Formula 350/4spd
1979 T/A, W72/4spd, Black/Red
1971 Firebird, 350/Auto, Red/Blk
1977 Trans Am, W72/4spd, Goldenrod Yellow

Offline Jimmys77

• My 77 T/A
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 11:12:32 PM »
Congrats!!! Super nice ride... You'll have the coolest ride in school, just don't let the rejects talk you into doing something stupid to it or in it...

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 11:24:10 PM »
Congrats and welcome. I think you found your new home. Please take a seat and enjoy. One really nice looking ride. Are you the first in your family to have a TA?  Good luck with everything.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 12:01:41 AM »
Congrats and welcome. I think you found your new home. Please take a seat and enjoy. One really nice looking ride. Are you the first in your family to have a TA?  Good luck with everything.

No man that's SolarGolds boy. Obviously his dad brought him up right! ;D

Gunner

Offline Grand73Am

• Adv. Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 12:08:45 AM »
Really a good looking car. Congrats! Enjoyed the pics. Being a y84, it's odd to see the small sail panel birds. Maybe the bigger bird decals were replaced in the past.....
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 12:11:16 AM by Grand73Am »
Steve F.

Offline Gunner

• Adv. Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 01:47:03 AM »
Thanks for the comments. rust on lower driver fender and cracked bondo on driver quarter is the worst, could use a hood and though the paint looks great in pics it has its flaws. Not sure how to tell if motor is original but it was rebuilt in 1999 (have receipts) and put away in 2004. Seller said it has about 6K on rebuild. It started but would not idle. Has a manual choke so that could be the problem. A/C in the trunk but all there. Plan to leave it as factory as possible but as funds allow will work on it. Dash is horrible and plan to pull it and try to restore it using 78ta forum posts found and padded dash filler, can't hurt it. Interior plastic is dry rotted and flaky.

Dash doesn't look that bad from the photos you posted. Cracked on top or something?

Gunner

Offline Trans am Oz

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 03:04:40 AM »
Struth :D
Wish i had that when i was fifteen 8) 8)
welcome to the site and congrats on picking up a car that has some of us adults green with envy ;D

Offline 89flyboy

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 04:07:54 AM »
Nice find very beautiful car, your lucky to have found one in such great shape. I look forward to the progress you will make on it.
Good luck,
Josh
I long for the peace that only driving a t/a can bring.