Author Topic: need help!  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Rick Fox

need help!
« on: May 01, 2013, 02:41:53 PM »
78 400  will run ok until it warms up.  once warn it begins to miss badly even through acceleration.  I've plugged all the vac ports off thinking I had a bad vac accessory.  I've sprayed carb cleaner everywhere and get no increase in idle. I have a new cap and rotor,  new plugs and wires, new carb from BFIC,  motor is timed at about 14°....... any ideas?

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
Re: need help!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 06:09:35 PM »
Ignition Module?  Does it die on you or just run poorly?  Are you sure of the Timing?

Offline Rick Fox

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 06:23:24 PM »
 doesn't die, just runs poorly after warm-up.  I'm certain on the timing.

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 10:15:18 PM »
Choke adjusted properly ?
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Rick Fox

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 10:19:09 PM »
 seems to be.  It snaps close on cold start after pushing throttle.  After its warm it opens up. 

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 10:24:11 PM »
Is it fully open at warm up though ? Meaning it is vertical
Eroc

Offline Rick Fox

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 10:46:15 PM »
Yes.  I'll also note that when I put a vac gauge on the intake port I was getting a solid 20 inches.  When I hooked it to the carb base I was getting 20 inches, but it fluttered rapidly.  Both are manifold vacuum so I'm not sure what's up.

Offline Amtrak

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 12:30:42 AM »
What is the timing at 3000 rpm?  it should be around 36 with the vacume advance un hooked
have you tried a new coil  does your coil have red and white wires or red and yellow wires?
have you tried a new pickup coil? did you get the right one   pontiac pickup coils  have opposite
magnetic polarity from chevy pickup coils  and have you tried a new dist module as refereced
in a prior post

Offline oldskoolubr

• Adv. Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 12:33:59 AM »
Hey Eroc shouldn't you be able to test the module?  I know I took mine to Oreillys and they put it on a machine and gave me the readings...

Offline rhino33

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 08:00:16 AM »
check the condition of the weights and springs on the distributer

Offline Rick Fox

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »
I haven’t checked the timing other than at idle.  As for the distributor internals I thought everything either worked or didn’t.  I checked the weights and springs and found they were slightly seized.  I removed them I got them freed up. Now they extend and retract easily.  I’ll have to check the coil wires tonight, but I think I have a red and white.  What’s the difference in the color of wires?

Offline rhino33

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 06:57:30 PM »
red is batt pos and the white is tach. let me know if that was the issue, i had the same issue with my 400, and i even installed an adjustable vacuum to dial in how many degrees of timing i wanted, check out crane cams vacuum adjuster, i just fabbed my own based on the idea, an adjustable timing light will be required
cheers

Offline Rick Fox

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 07:01:59 PM »
So replacing the coil fixed your problem? I guess the winding could become loose and become worse after it gets warm....... I'll keep you posted.

Offline rhino33

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 07:07:49 PM »
no i never changed the coil it was the springs and weights on the dist that were bad on mine

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 08:47:09 PM »
Hey Eroc shouldn't you be able to test the module?  I know I took mine to Oreillys and they put it on a machine and gave me the readings...

Yes but it's normally like an on off switch, either it works or it doesn't. It's odd for it to be intermittent.
Eroc