Author Topic: Radiator Help  (Read 1162 times)

Offline kjkjkcjkcj

• Lifetime Member
Radiator Help
« on: June 24, 2021, 11:32:13 AM »
It's been quite some time since i posted on here but I am finally able to get back to working on my car!  My next project is upgrading the radiator and converting to electric fans.  I had a few questions.

Is there anything I need to keep in mind when doing the conversion?  Aside from a set of 62 heads my motor is mostly stock, however i do plan on doing a stroker kit to in the near future.

Any reccomendations on a setup or companies to stay away from.  I see these setups range quite a bit in price, my goal was to be in the 5-800 range.

More to come on the car and I look forward to getting back into the forum!

Thank you
Kyle
-1979 Trans Am Ws6, W72 400, holley 650, #62 heads (toy)
-Silverado 1500 (daily driver)

Offline Stringer

Re: Radiator Help
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 11:36:19 AM »
I can't steer you toward any company for a radiator but my advice would be:  Choose a good quality aluminum radiator that will fit in place with little to no fabrication. Choose either a single large fan or smaller dual fans. Then fabricate a fan shroud. Too many people forget about the shroud and then they have over heating problems and wonder why.

The shroud is very important to proper airflow and cooling. Without the shroud air moves around the radiator instead of through it. You need a shroud that is as small as the fan and as large as the radiator. This will ensure that air is drawn through the whole radiator.

Hope this helps.