Author Topic: Power windows don't work for first few minutes  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Bigblockbird

Power windows don't work for first few minutes
« on: April 29, 2020, 11:12:49 PM »
Hi, new guy here. I have what I think is an odd problem. Sometimes when I first start my 79, the power windows won't go down for the first few minutes driving it. Neither window will move, then they both work. I think it's moisture related, because it usually doesn't happen on a hot summer day. It normally happens when it's humid - early in the morning, when it's been raining, etc. It's not super consistent. I've had this car for a few years and it's always been this way. I've looked at the relay, made sure it was making good contact in the fuse block, and I've replaced the switch because it stopped working completely when I first bought the car.
Any ideas? Thanks.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: Power windows don't work for first few minutes
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 12:47:28 AM »
Could be anything, and intermittent makes it hard to locate sometimes. Check all the basic things, some of which you already have. There shouldn't be too much moisture affecting it as fairly well out of the weather, even when it's pouring rain. If so, the connections aren't in great shape anyway, always possible. Apart from taking off door trims to clean terminals, not much you can do. Also, make sure your door hinges are free of rust and gunk as they form the ground for the windows. Give them a good spray with WD40 and work the doors back and forth to get it soaked through. If really gunked up you can then spray with some degreaser, and flush with hot soapy water, then only lightly oil so maintaining a good ground. You could look at replacing the relay too, see if that helps. Good to have a spare anyway in original shape that simply plugs in. Do they work ok when engine not running, other than slower?

Offline Bigblockbird

Re: Power windows don't work for first few minutes
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 12:11:23 PM »
Why didn't I think of the door hinges?🙄 I'll try that next. And yes, when they decide to work, they act pretty much like I've heard others do - a little slower with the engine off, passenger side a little slower than driver. I haven't had the door panels off in a few years, and I've been planning to replace them, so I thought maybe I'd wait and do the panels, try to figure out why the power locks don't work, and replace the door handles all at the same time. I was also reading through the 4 relay power window DIY project last night and I'll probably do that one of these days too.
Mostly I don't like wasting time and especially money if someone out there has seen it before and can point me in the right direction.
Thanks!