General > Hobbies and Interests

Any Jeep Fans?/Oil pressure prob

<< < (2/3) > >>

1FSTLS1:
Oil pressure is as low as 20 while driving.  Around 1500-2000 RPM  Thinking about replacing the bearings.  I should be able to do it with the motor in the jeep

Rarebird:
may be worth you while to inspect the journals very well one the mains and rods. if you have bearing wear chances are the journals are toast as well. IMO it would be insurance to change out the crank if you go that far.

jphillips3333:
I'd add 70 weight oil, perhaps a few more additives as you've done before ripping into it.

Drop the pan - is the pickup loose/skewed?  I typically have those brazed onto the oil pump before installing.

I had a 79 Z28 with a B&M blower//350 running 20 PSI @ idle.  Scared me every time I looked at it.  I drove it.  Hard.  It never failed for over 10K miles back in the day.  Then I moved to CO, left it in FL and it sold.

eroc022:

--- Quote from: 1FSTLS1 on August 24, 2008, 11:16:22 AM ---Oil pressure is as low as 20 while driving.  Around 1500-2000 RPM  Thinking about replacing the bearings.  I should be able to do it with the motor in the jeep

--- End quote ---

honestly i would hold off doing anything till its offcially dead, oil pressure is a good thing, as long as you have pressure its showing that everything is getting oiled, when it drops to nothing and you hear it thats when you have a problem....remember its a fraction of an inch that the oil takes up in bearings and whatnot....so as long as you have a constant pressure id keep on gettin it

1FSTLS1:
Well I am going to replace main and rod bearings whille im in there.  Do I need lock tight when I put the main bolts and rod bolts back on?  I also found some sludge on the pickup screen.  Clearance was good on 2 of the main bearings I have not got any farther yet.  Keep in mind the motor is still in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version