Author Topic: 79 TA full rocker replacment  (Read 2552 times)

Offline bcwoods

79 TA full rocker replacment
« on: September 27, 2021, 08:28:10 PM »
OK SO I decided to replace the whole rocker assembly and for the most part I have it with in  1/16 of the other side (Up and down) that is factory. SO my question is  how close do I need it? I know these cars were not super tight so when can I say thats good enough. ALso How does the rear quarter attach to the rocker ? I see tabs on the inner structure? but does the outer skin wrap around and under this tab then its sandwich together?

Offline RENOVATIONS

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: 79 TA full rocker replacment
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 06:25:43 AM »
.... does the outer skin wrap around and under this tab then its sandwich together?

From factory, yes.
A lot easier for them to spot weld joining points as the shell comes together ...not so easy for those of us replacing individual panels.
What I have done in the past...a solid weld (actually alternating  tack welds) across the bottom of the dog leg of quarter where it meets the top of outer rocker.

Grind welds flush...THEN use the edge of a cut-off wheel to lightly cut-in the "appearance" of a seam in that same area.
It will look the same as the factory seam with a lot less headache
Jeff

Projects:
1987 Fiero GT
1982 Trans Am
1986 Corvette

Offline bcwoods

Re: 79 TA full rocker replacment
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 02:13:52 PM »
Ok thanks for the tip, that makes sense. One last question I Circled the tab in reds thats suspect. THe rocker is pretty much where it needs to be but that upp tab has a 1/4 or so gap, If somehow I could move it up that high, it would no longer be level to each side. any ideas?