Author Topic: TATA Y89 Restoration/Pro-Touring Build Thread (Skip to Page 9!)  (Read 44088 times)

Offline TheKid

• Sounds taller on the Radio.
Re: TATA Y89 Restoration/Pro-Touring Build Thread (Skip to Page 9!)
« Reply #150 on: July 16, 2012, 11:13:23 PM »
Alright guys, finally got around to getting some good work done and taking pictures of everything I've been working on, story time:

Started working on the back seats first, got the upper and lower frames stripped down, polished them up, primed a few good coats, then hit them with black Rustoleom to protect them in the future:

Seat Frames:

Rear Seat Frames by MercurioJJ, on Flickr

I took these down to bare metal, cleaning and removing all the crap, paint, and pounds of rust

Upper:

Upper Rear Seat Frame by MercurioJJ, on Flickr

Upper Rear Seat Frame 2 by MercurioJJ, on Flickr

Lower:

Lower Rear Seat Frame by MercurioJJ, on Flickr

Knocked out all the springs as well, got them cleaned and painted and stored away in a box.

Then moved on to my seat which was rusted BAD to say the least. I was able to clean it up pretty well though..

Here's where I got the top half of the driver's seat down to:

Upper D Seat Frame 2 by MercurioJJ, on Flickr

Upper D Seat Frame 1 by MercurioJJ, on Flickr

Nice and polished, ready for primer tomorrow.

Got the bottom to look alright as well, also getting primed tomorrow:

Start:

Lower F Seat Frame Before by MercurioJJ, on Flickr

Almost finished:

Lower F Seat Frame After by MercurioJJ, on Flickr

I moved onto the sliding brackets and mechanism. Got the 40 year old pounds of residual crap build up out of there, wire brushed and lubed all the joints, and polished up the rest of them. Didn't spend too much time on the parts that won't be visible once it's all assembled, but just wanted them to look decent. I hit them with Duplicolor clear coat once I was done to help prevent them from rusting out again:

Driver Bracket 1 by MercurioJJ, on Flickr

And that's all the work I got done the past few days. I've been helping my girlfriend move all weekend, and was just too tired to do much. On the upside, she got me these two little things as a "thank you."

American Plate by MercurioJJ, on Flickr

She just saw this at hobby lobby and knew exactly what it was, and to check and make sure it was an official "GM" product:

TA Key Chain by MercurioJJ, on Flickr

Anyway, thats all for tonight. Will have more pictures tomorrow! I've been working on my spare tire after seeing how nice Ben got his to look.

JJ
JJ
"America is all about one thing..."

-----------------------------
1979 TATA full restoration in progress

Offline TheKid

• Sounds taller on the Radio.
« Reply #151 on: September 19, 2017, 09:09:26 PM »
Bringing this guy back from the dead. Changed careers mid-build. I went from making great money with plenty of disposable income as a kid, to a new career for a start up (that has since led to me progressing big time in that field and now working for the industry leader) and finally able to get back into this thing. And boy have things changed. The shop doing the work relocated and I went broke while starting the new career...so the car went into storage. It's been primed and ready to go though. Getting an update tomorrow, can't wait.

Also, I'm bringing the 403 back to stock, and holding onto it. I caught the FI bug...and I'm thinking it's time to just build an LS platform and be done with it. I really want to drive this car, and not beat up the 403...

Anyway, if anyone here is still around, I'll have some updates sooner or later. Can't wait to get back into this thing...and get all my parts out of my storage unit.
JJ
"America is all about one thing..."

-----------------------------
1979 TATA full restoration in progress

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #152 on: June 12, 2018, 11:04:51 PM »
Anything new happen to this project in the last little while?
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)