Author Topic: Rock Auto - poor fitment and bad customer service  (Read 2936 times)

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
Rock Auto - poor fitment and bad customer service
« on: July 17, 2013, 04:47:29 PM »
I bought rear rotors for my '07 Tundra from this group. I didn't get a chance to get them installed until months later so my fault for that. Once installed, they rubbed & squealed. My uncle, a former Toyota mechanic, and I spent 7 hours trying to diagnose the issue. We finally gave up and took it to a shop. $300 later, they had the problem fixed. It's a manufacturing defect in the rotors. The drum where the emergency brake pads rides is too thick so the shop turned it down on a lathe.

I brought this to the attention of Rock Auto and I got a canned response stating not their fault, nothing they can do, yada, yada. Last time I'm ordering from there as once I tacked on shipping, they were the same price as locally sourced Autozone parts.

NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!!!

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Fbodywarehouse

• Fbodywarehouse
Re: Rock Auto - poor fitment and bad customer service
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 01:24:12 PM »
Rock Auto is the wal mart of auto parts on the web. You get what you pay for which is a little bit of everything at one place. They sell everything and specialize in nothing.

That is not a knock simply an overview of the business model they operate under. If you bought a product from Wal Mart would be the same canned ham answer.
www.Fbodywarehouse.com
(423) 949 6820

New & Used Replacement Parts
9am - 5pm EST Monday - Friday

Offline brian c

• Lifetime Member
  • Ohio Firebirds Member
    • Y88 Resto
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 10:53:32 AM »
Yeah well they could have offered to refund my shipping but NO...not their problem. Wasn't looking for blood or total refund but a few bucks tossed back for my time and troubles would have been acceptable in my book. To take the stance they did, forget it. Not worth dealing with them again...EVER!

1978 Y88, '70 455 HO block bored 0.060, TH350, 3.42:1 gears...Oct '08 Fbodywarehouse Calendar - Woot!
1980 Firebird - no engine/tranny... to be pacecar clone

Offline Fbodywarehouse

• Fbodywarehouse
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 03:49:44 PM »
Brian,
Is a great example of why smaller start up companies still exist as companies get huge and business models change so does the level of service in many cases.

There will always be a market for smaller companies even if the cost may be higher that will offer A1 service.

BTW Brian still working on the house in Newfane.......... LOL sigh has been going for 3 months now! Hoping to know before the first Kevin Kobb pass flys!
www.Fbodywarehouse.com
(423) 949 6820

New & Used Replacement Parts
9am - 5pm EST Monday - Friday

Offline BARRACUDA1968

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 08:08:32 PM »
I posted my opinion on the other forum and then the thread went dead.

I figured maybe they took care of you because nothing else was said.

I'll never buy anything from them and it's very irritating to see this kind of thing happen.

I own my own business and I would never treat a customer like that.  That's why I'm still in business.
1978 Trans Am
Butler Performance 461
Built Trans with 3000 stall
Pro Touring suspension
17" Year One Rims