Author Topic: A few newbie questions for the group  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Brosain

A few newbie questions for the group
« on: December 17, 2021, 11:09:35 AM »

Hello All!

I'm a proud new owner of a Gold '78 (non-Y-88) with a 400, auto, Hurst t-tops. I have a few questions that I've mustered up looking over this thing:

1. Looking to change the differential fluid soon. I'm used to seeing a plug on the diff cover that you unscrew or, in the case of my '86 Ramcharger, pop off a rubber plug to fill with fluid, then when it runs out, you're done. I don't see a fill screw on my cover. Is the fill location on the back of the diff somewhere, and if so, do you fill it until it starts to come out to get the proper level?

2. I can take the car out of the park and into any gear with it shut off, and they key out. I'm also able to start the car in "drive." Is there a neutral safety switch that needs replacing? If so, where would it be?

3. I have no reverse lights. My turn signals work, and the fuse is good. I switched out the bulbs for new ones and tested for voltage at the plug, but there is none. Any suggestions?

4. I only have three fan speeds, "hi" doesn't work. Blower resistor?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: A few newbie questions for the group
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 01:13:01 AM »
Stock diff cover is simply a cover. Drain it by undoing bolts and letting it run out. Remember to get a new gasket, and yes fill until it is about to overflow the hole.

Sounds like something is out of adjustment or faulty. Others will comment, mine doesn't have it. Likewise, back up lights, can be faulty, out of adjustment, or simply removed if has headers installled. Could be related for the 2.

High speed on the fan is full power and bypasses the resistor coils, the other speeds are resistor showing it is working.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 01:14:47 AM by Aus78Formula »

Offline Wallington

• Adv. Member
Re: A few newbie questions for the group
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 01:18:22 AM »
Diff drain plug is on front RH side below the plastic breather cap.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 09:18:33 PM by Aus78Formula »