Author Topic: Multi Media Blaster  (Read 14019 times)

Offline JupiterBandit

Multi Media Blaster
« on: March 12, 2014, 04:29:18 PM »
I just broke down and bought my own Media Blaster.

It Blasts:

Baking Soda
Walnut
Glass
Sand
and a few other things

I got tired of trying to get estimates to blast my Trans Am and when I did get an estimate it was $1,200-$1,500

So 4 bags per car at $25.00 + $80 in fuel. comes out to $125.00 material X Waste = $200 - $300 and 4hrs labor  This is much more affordable.

Now the funny part. The media Blaster is about $9k the compressor is $20k, not having to trailer my car and be ripped off, Priceless!!!!!

I have 2 Trans Ams and 1 Mustang to do so I figure I'll recoup some right there. After I've done my cars then I may do friends and neighbors, who knows.

Any one here who blasts that may have tips, I'd love to hear them.

I bought a Problast CRS machine and a Ingersol 185CFM

Offline gilbertsta

• "Live Like You Are Dying"
Re: Multi Media Blaster
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 04:49:47 PM »
wow! nice equipment!

Offline gilbertsta

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 04:53:42 PM »
my brother has a shop, but he farms out the media blasting.

Offline pancho400cid

• Viva los PONCHOS!!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 05:14:50 PM »
Wow dude... you don't screw around!

Does the equipment mnfr offer any guidlines?

Sorry, but I don't know anything about it except that you now have more than enough power to royally screw up a car... which I'm sure you realize.

OTOH - other people, most likely some of whom are not a smart as you, do it with success.... so learn the tricks an go for it.  Try it on a junk car first to learn how without overheating / warpage.  Once you master blasting, you could probably get enough side work to pay for the equipment... but dude!  Ya shoulda gone for the wet soda blaster.

Hope it goes great!
1978 Trans Am - Brown - Current Project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - Future Uncertain

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 06:56:06 PM »
Thanks.

Go big or go home right?

It has wet sodablasting nozel. I'm going to practice on the donor car I bought. I don't want to mess anything up. I'm also going to watch as many youtube videos as possible plus the manufacturer has a whole instruction book and videos too.

This will be a lot of fun. I hope

Offline 81

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 07:21:34 PM »
I was in the same boat trying to get estimates to media blast my '77 TA.  I ended up buying a 60 gallon 5 HP upright compressor and am well on my way to taking care of the job myself.  While speaking with a reputable media blasting shop north of Seattle the owner told me when he inspects a vehicle prior to blasting he will gently press down on the various panels with two fingers.  If the panel has any flex, he does not blast it.  I used this theory while stripping my TA - I used chemical stripper on the roof and quarters, and media blasted the more stout areas.  So far so good, I've not had any issues.

Good luck with your new set up!

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 07:40:21 AM »
That's some good advice. Do you know what media the guy used? Or what you're using?

I heard crushed glass was perfect for thin sheet metal but a bit more abrasive than soda and leaves the surface prepped for primer unlike soda.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
I thought I'd update this thread.

Here's some free info that I've accumulated.

From everything I've read or heard from the Pros, Do not use Baking Soda to blast a car! They said it leaves a film that is not always rinsed off thoroughly enough and can cause the new paint to peel. Also if you get soda in the nooks and crannies it is like salt and will cause it to rust out. So Soda is off my list for the car. It also leaves the metal too smooth.

So I've settled on Crushed Glass. I'm going to use a fine grade as I may not need medium grade. It's about $12.50 per 50lbs. It etches the metal great, everyone loves the stuff and you can use low pressure around 60psi.

The new thing is, it's not necessarily the heat that warps the panels but the pressure you are hitting the panel with. You blast it at 100psi and you will warp the panel, drop it down to 60psi and it shouldn't warp.

Now there is a new Dustless Blasting system. It uses Water with Crushed Glass. This sounds ideal as it keeps the heat down and you can shoot it with 60psi. Problem is the pot is like $15k to start, and you're spraying water all over the place and making the ground muddy.

So I am hoping to use my set up soon and I will update you all to let you know what worked best. I am told a regular blaster like mine will do just as good as a dustless blaster. We shall see

Offline gilbertsta

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 08:49:28 PM »
great info... looking forward to seeing the results.

Offline Driver79

• 1985 Trans Am 5.0L
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 02:07:49 PM »
If you use baking soda, I dont see why you couldnt wipe it off with some paint thinner. As far as the pressure warping the panels.. The pressure is creating more heat but as long as you don't focus on one area it should be fine. Let us know how your experience goes.

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 05:34:08 PM »
Just took it out for its first test run.

It started blowing media but after 10 seconds it stopped feeding media then Id let off the dead man and then pressed on it again and it would start feeding. I adjusted the valve for more media and then it worked fine.

I love this thing. It's like a gigantic eraser. blast radius is like 4" diameter. It just blast everything gone.

I have to play with different pressures. I think it's a little too aggressive even with the fine glass media.

As for wiping down soda with Thinner, it won't neutralize the baking soda. You almost have to wash it with vinegar and then use prep all.  But that won't guarantee you got it all and you won't know until after the paint dries and it starts peeling.

I'll post some pics of the hood I practiced on. I regret now not making a quick video. I may do more this week.

Offline gilbertsta

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 08:19:29 PM »
That's cool stuff Jupiter

~Trans ams rule....others drool~

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 09:09:53 PM »
Thanks,

I can't wait to get my TA's blasted and into primer.  I can say this is so much nicer then a 60 gallon compressor and a little 50lbs pot blaster.

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 10:56:52 PM »

Offline smfs_fear_mii

• if youre gonna do it, do it right!
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 10:26:09 AM »
that turned out great! if you wanna just mail that blaster to my house that would be nice!
i always seem to have the perfect amount of tools! unless i have to work on something...