Author Topic: 223/5.56 ATF Ammo Ban  (Read 8723 times)

Offline 80TAPaceCar

• This nation will suffer due to November 6th, 2012
    • 1980 Trans Am Pace Car
223/5.56 ATF Ammo Ban
« on: February 28, 2015, 11:27:21 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/02/28/lawmakers-wont-be-silenced-over-obama-administration-proposed-ammo-ban/

Not just military surplus, but they have expanded it to just regular civilian 223 also now for some reason.

Petitions, not sure since it’s the WH site if it matters, but there is a link to NRA also and what they suggest.

If you don’t shoot .223, it’s only a matter of time before they go after what you do shoot.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-batfe-banning-xm855-ammunition/XrvVh1cj

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150225/urge-your-representative-to-join-congressional-response-to-batfe-ammo-ban

Later
Kev

79 Chevrolet Corvette
80 Indy Pace Car Trans Am
80 Indy (Festival Car) Pace Car Trans Am

www.IROC-S.com
www.IndyHauler.info
www.TransAmPaceCar.com

Offline Bayou_Flyer

Re: 223/5.56 ATF Ammo Ban
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 11:21:03 AM »
61000 signatures...surely more coming. I have heard that when the govt opens up any proposal to public comment, the govt has to respond to each before moving forward.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the .223 pistol is an AR15 without a stock? That "pistol" is the basis for the govt's desire for banning certain ammo. A .223 round is not a pistol round....

Notice how this is guided under the need to protect law enforcement, but just who would shoot at law enforcement? Not the average Joe. Another issue to consider is that police officers wear soft body armor, not steel. From my understanding, any rifle round has the ability to penetrate soft body armor because it is designed to stop handgun projectiles. Friends who shoot thousands of rounds each year say these green tip rounds are no more effective at penetrating steel armor than a regular .223 round...which is why it is a surplus ammunition now.

Of course, we all know that when outright banning of certain firearms fails, the govt do-gooders will simply take "alternate measures" to achieve their goal. Give an inch...they will take a foot...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 11:33:53 AM by Bayou_Flyer »
1975 Formula 350/4spd
1979 T/A, W72/4spd, Black/Red
1971 Firebird, 350/Auto, Red/Blk
1977 Trans Am, W72/4spd, Goldenrod Yellow

Offline 80TAPaceCar

• 1980 Trans Am Pace Car
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 12:54:42 PM »
I have heard that when the govt opens up any proposal to public comment, the govt has to respond to each before moving forward.

I can't comment on this issue, this is the first time I have signed a petition for on a WH site.  I have even created another e-mail for my domain just for petitions, so they don't have my main e-mail address.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the .223 pistol is an AR15 without a stock? That "pistol" is the basis for the govt's desire for banning certain ammo. A .223 round is not a pistol round....

Correct, an AR Pistol is a short barreled AR without a stock.  This is how some get around the SBR (Short Barreled Rifle)  NFA (National Firearms Act) registration and not have to pay a $200.00 tax stamp.  But have the buffer tube sticking out the back for the bolt cycling with a direct gas system.

http://www.twsarms.com/product/ar15-pistol-75-inch-cqb-od-green/

Technically it is not really a pistol round per say.

I'm seeing some now don't even have the buffer tube since the piston driven system has come out or they simply put the direct gas system over the top of the firearm.  I'm not real versed on this type of pistol though, so have not studied it very much.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/0/0b/Oa-93-full.jpg/400px-Oa-93-full.jpg

Notice how this is guided under the need to protect law enforcement, but just who would shoot at law enforcement?

Do you think criminals would abide by the law anyways....liberals are misguided and just want their agenda passed anyway they can.

This is how ATF is trying to ban this round, it is focused on a 30 year old law.  Even the writer of the law says it was not to be used for a rifle round such as the .223/5.56.

Of course, we all know that when outright banning of certain firearms fails, the govt do-gooders will simply take "alternate measures" to achieve their goal. Give an inch...they will take a foot...

The anti-gunners did not get the Assault Rifle ban they wanted, now they are trying to get around it by doing it this way and banning the ammunition to starve it out of existence.

AR-15's even come in the 308 and now the Beowulf 50 caliber.  The 308 has been around for a very long time also, which is another hunting round.  At one time you could get an AR upper for the 12 and 410 gauge shotgun.   They going to ban that also?

Later
Kev

79 Chevrolet Corvette

www.IROC-S.com
www.IndyHauler.info
www.TransAmPaceCar.com

Offline 80TAPaceCar

• 1980 Trans Am Pace Car
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 01:20:05 PM »
Oops, I forgot that you could get the AR in 22lr round also, I guess they will have to ban that round also.

Kev

79 Chevrolet Corvette

www.IROC-S.com
www.IndyHauler.info
www.TransAmPaceCar.com

Offline Bayou_Flyer

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 05:46:48 PM »
Exactly, a shortened AR is considered a pistol for its lack of a stock....but it is still an AR. That was my point on the round....it is for a rifle and not a pistol.

The gun banners want to ban it as a pistol round, but they are probably the same people who would load a magazine with the round facing the wrong way (and succeed).  ;D
1975 Formula 350/4spd

Offline 80TAPaceCar

• 1980 Trans Am Pace Car
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 06:00:41 PM »
But they are probably the same people who would load a magazine with the round facing the wrong way (and succeed).  ;D

Well, they aren't the sharpest tack in the pack........

----------------------------------------------------------

Democratic Rep. Diana DeGette on high capacity magazines......

Asked how a ban on magazines holding more than 15 rounds would be effective in reducing gun violence, DeGette said:

“I will tell you these are ammunition, they’re bullets, so the people who have those know they’re going to shoot them, so if you ban them in the future, the number of these high capacity magazines is going to decrease dramatically over time because the bullets will have been shot and there won’t be any more available.”

What she didn’t appear to understand is that a magazine can be reloaded with more bullets. According to the Shooter’s Log, only early on were magazines for AR-15s designed to be disposable, but the military changed that and now magazines are used several times. In handguns, a magazine is designed to be reused hundreds of times.

After her remarks, the audience in the forum at The Denver Post building chuckled.

79 Chevrolet Corvette

www.IROC-S.com
www.IndyHauler.info
www.TransAmPaceCar.com

Offline Bayou_Flyer

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 06:47:10 PM »
But if it will save just one child....isn't it worth it?   ::)

Of course, when you are speaking to a group of like-minded people, why let facts get in the way?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 06:50:27 PM by Bayou_Flyer »
1975 Formula 350/4spd

Offline 80TAPaceCar

• 1980 Trans Am Pace Car
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 09:01:55 PM »
But if it will save just one child....isn't it worth it?   ::)

Of course, when you are speaking to a group of like-minded people, why let facts get in the way?

I'm all for saving men woman and children, I don't know anybody who would not be that way, that is unless they are insane or bent on destruction.

Most have already forgotten about the OKC Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building bombing, my family has not. I had family and friends either in the building or at the YMCA just down the road.  Fortunately, my relatives survived, but are deeply scared either emotionally or physically.  Two of them were in the daycare center.

Did my family try to ban Ryder and U-Haul trucks, fertilizer or diesel?  It's not the instruments they use, it's the insane people behind the instruments.  If they are dead set in wanting to do harm, they will find a way.

Later
Kev

79 Chevrolet Corvette

www.IROC-S.com
www.IndyHauler.info
www.TransAmPaceCar.com

Offline Bayou_Flyer

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 08:55:46 PM »
I haven't forgotten...I was taking the I35/I240 exit toward Tinker when it happened....original thoughts were some sort of gas or sewer explosion. I will also never forget walking around the Murrah building after the explosion....or the mob that was waiting for McVeigh to come out of that jail. Part of me wished the officers would've just let home go....

I had a chance to visit OKC a few years ago...the park is very nice and a peaceful place!

My statement was tongue in cheek...it's the rallying cry for the do-gooder activists and politicians.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 08:58:57 PM by Bayou_Flyer »
1975 Formula 350/4spd

Offline 80TAPaceCar

• 1980 Trans Am Pace Car
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 10:26:55 PM »
or the mob that was waiting for McVeigh to come out of that jail. Part of me wished the officers would've just let home go....

Yes, I agree.  But he is burning in hell now.

My statement was tongue in cheek...it's the rallying cry for the do-gooder activists and politicians.

Yes, and I took it that way.  I knew there was no disrespect intended.  You would be surprised, maybe not, how many have forgotten though.

79 Chevrolet Corvette

www.IROC-S.com
www.IndyHauler.info
www.TransAmPaceCar.com

Offline oscardeuce

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 11:53:22 PM »
I can't wait to get my Shrike belt fed AR-15 upper!