Trans Am Information > Suspension

coil spring removal

(1/3) > >>

hada76:
found this hope its not a repost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JCPG7qWuho&feature=related

Grand73Am:
Haven't seen that one before. It should help somebody to understand what is involved.
The location for measuring the car height was a good tip I picked up from it.

I would disagree with his comment about not using an impact wrench. I've used my 1/2" drive impact wrench to speed up the job for over 25 years with no problem. Frankly, I'd hate to have to wrench it manually  :) .

b_hill_86:
Good video. I'll be pulling my springs this winter hopefully in an effort to lower an inch or so and rebuild the front suspension components while i'm there. At the cost of sounding like a noob (cause I am lol) I've been holding off on asking this till now. When measuring the ride height of a vehicle, it seems sort of ... inefficient to measure from a given point on the car to the ground considering tire size will always change that height even if the geometry of the suspension is correct (factory). Is there any reason that I'm missing that you couldn't measure, for example, from the highest point on the outter wheel well to the top or center of the wheel hub? To me, that seems like it would be the best example of where the car is sitting in relation to it's factory ride height since changing the tire size raises or lowers the center of the hub the same as the rest of the car.

Actually, as I posted this, I forgot a changed my avatar to the pic that's there now. You can see the car sits up too high as it is. It may look like I'm stuffing the gas and taking off from a wicked burnout!!! In reality, I'm standing still lol.

Grand73Am:
The factory height measurement would be done using factory diameter wheels, so that measurement should be consistent that way, for factory specs.

When you go changing tire size, and springs,  then you're right, the factory height at those locations  no longer applies, other than you can use it as a baseline to see how much you dropped.

b_hill_86:

--- Quote from: Grand73Am on July 30, 2012, 08:11:50 PM ---The factory height measurement would be done using factory diameter wheels, so that measurement should be consistent that way, for factory specs.

When you go changing tire size, and springs,  then you're right, the factory height at those locations  no longer applies, other than you can use it as a baseline to see how much you dropped.

--- End quote ---

Yea, you're right. I guess when I thought of factory ride height i was only thinking in relation to the suspension, not the total vehicle height which the tires would obviously change. The reason I asked is cause I have 235-60-15's on my Rally II's which are mounted right now. Like I mentioned, my car sits way too high and I wanted to correct it soon but I have a set of 7in snowflakes and 8in snowflakes that I will be getting tires for (one or both) once I refinish them. Those will probably have tires closer to factory size (height) but it's gonna be a while before I get the rims done and can afford tires. I wanted a non-tire-reliant ride height to compare to mine so I could lower it now even though the tires on the Rally's are a bit smaller than factory.

Sorry for the hijack hada.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version