Author Topic: Installed Metro Hurst T Top seals this weekend  (Read 12506 times)

Offline BARRACUDA1968

Installed Metro Hurst T Top seals this weekend
« on: February 11, 2013, 12:22:30 PM »
I got a good deal on the 1st Gen Hurst T Top seals from Amazon so I decided to order them.  I read a lot of negative feedback but I decided to take a chance.

I'm not impressed with them.  I had to do major surgery to get them in.

I pretty much knew I would have to cut the seal at the back of the window where it corners to go up the T Top so I was prepared for that.  The seal was too long so I cut about 3/4 of and inch out.

Once that was done I used 3m weather strip glue and worked my way around the T Top over to the A pillar.  That went pretty smooth.

Then I installed the A pillar portion of the seal.  Luckily I waited to glue that section just to see how the window went up and down.  This is where the problems started.  The window would not go up all the way.  The A pillar part of the seal doesn't have a channel in it for the window to slide in.  It was basically just flat and the window sorta pinched it.  After messing with it for a while the seal started to tear.

The major problem on this seal was the bottom part of it.  It was waaaay to thick and it pushed the window out when rolling it up.   The bottom part of the window ended up on the outside of the seal when it was rolled all the way up.  I made some adjustments here and there but finally decided it wasn't going to work.  I had pulled the old seal out of the T Top laying around so I put that in the A pillar and it worked pretty good so I cut the bottom of the new seal off and was going to glue an old section in so the window would roll up nice.

Here's the T Top seal on the left.  My plan was to slide it up the channel and glue it at the T top and then to the bottom of the A pillar to the metro piece I had cut.  Notice how flat the Metro seal is on the right.  That's where the window is supposed to slide in to.

Here's the bottom of the new seal I cut.

This didn't work very well because the bottom chunk of the Metro seal just doesn't fit the car very well.

So in the end I just used the old A pillar seal and glued it to the Metro seal where the T top meets the A pillar.

Then I superglued the B pillar seal and I was done.

The T top fits decent over the new seal.  It was a little tight but not bad.  I haven't washed the car yet to check for leaks but it seems to fit nicely.

Sure looks a lot better than my old seals.

Maybe it's just my car and the way my windows are adjusted etc etc is why I had so much trouble??  I don't want to bash Metro products but my advise to anyone who is doing this make sure you save your original A pillar moldings when you remove them.

If you have to cut a seal to make it fit better just do it.  The superglue bonds it back together instantly.

I haven't done the passenger side yet.  I'm going to wait and see how good my work is on the drivers side so I can maybe learn a thing or two before I do the passenger side.
1978 Trans Am
Butler Performance 461
Built Trans with 3000 stall
Pro Touring suspension
17" Year One Rims

Offline Hitch

Re: Installed Metro Hurst T Top seals this weekend
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 07:13:05 PM »
Interesting. I bought the same seals for my 1st gen tops. I guess we'll see how it goes when I do the install here in the spring. Thanks for the post. I'll be sure to hold onto my originals.
1978 Trans Am WS6, Hurst Tops, black on black

Offline BAMA TA

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 07:23:22 PM »
I went through 3 different brands before I got it right last year. Aw crap!.....my eye is starting to twitch thinking about those weeks   >:(

Offline Hitch

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 07:49:21 PM »
Just thought I'd revive this short thread to share my experience with installing 1st design Hurst Metro seals on my TA.

First off, I'd like to thank Barracuda for posting this thread initially. I made sure to keep my a-pillar seals intact in case I needed them, and of course, I did. 

My experience was pretty much the same as described above.  Had to cut the horizontal back window seal, but just on one side. I also could not get my windows to roll up either with the new seals. I messed with it for hours and finally gave up, cut the entire a-pillars off and glued on my old ones on (the whole way to the bottom).

Overall it came out nice and I'm happy. For anyone installing these, I'd recommend trying the new seals as-is, and if they don't work, you'll know what to do. Just don't glue the a-pillar sections until you're sure they will work. 
1978 Trans Am WS6, Hurst Tops, black on black