Author Topic: This is Ruby AKA "The Project"  (Read 42540 times)

Offline eroc022

• Lifetime Member
Re: The Project
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2010, 01:28:40 AM »
id use a self etching primer, or a weldable primer with high zinc content....both would be sufficient.....then go over the seams with new seam sealer....
Eroc
Fixing the car that Restore A Muscle Car jacked up....

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2010, 09:28:26 AM »
Ok it took me less than an hour to accomplish stuff this mornig

After the kids got on the bus, I came in the house, looked at the website, went back outside, jumped in the Jeep and went to the local auto parts stroe that also has an automotive paint section, picked up some paint, got back in the Jeep and went to the gas station for a new propane tank which they didn't have any left, went to the coffe shop drive through, went to a different gas station to get what I needed, came home, brought everything in that was needed, went into the garage, looked at the gap under my garage door and readjusted it to sit better, set up the propane stove and got it lit to warm up the garage, got my floor fan to blow warm air around, answered the phone, and finnaly sat down down to look at the website again while the garage warms up and enjoy my tea (Two weeks without a coffee so far)

Everything took about 45 mins to complete!!!

I will paint this morning in hopes i can weld this afternoon...we'll see
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline firebird79_00

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2010, 02:11:51 AM »
looking good, what color is that red you wanted to paint it? ive been thinking about something exactly something like that. really dark yet i dont want to see any brown/purple breaking through.
1977 Firebird Clone
6.6L.....soon

Offline IslandZ28

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2010, 08:37:27 AM »
Please tell me you're using your original VIN and not swapping.
1978 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Offline ZachAttack77TA

• If it's not fast, it's not fun!
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2010, 09:50:59 AM »
Your car is shapping up nicely. Looks like a lot of welding, but it also looks like you know what to do. Can't wait to see more pictures of the progress.
1997 Grand Am
1995 Trans Am
1977 Trans Am

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2010, 11:17:45 AM »
Please tell me you're using your original VIN and not swapping.

I will be keeping the original vin with it!!!

I will also transfer the original vin over with the firewall piece...as it turns out I have some metal to fix there anyways due to rust so I can kill 2 birds with one stone

The paint is a crimson metalic clearcoat over a silver base...I might even try a crimson pearl setup but haven't decided yet

There would be less welding If I didn't have to fix the accident damage it had to the firewall but such is life

Thanks for reading the post everyone and thanks for the comments
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 11:19:32 AM by Nexus »
Charlie

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2010, 07:07:37 PM »
OK this is what i've done over the last week or two.

I got my donar piece fitted and welded on the car. Took me a while to do but it got accomplished. Here it is

After staring at it, inspecting it, and being down right disappointed with how it turned out out and fitted, I decided to cut it out, get the old peice, trim off the bad, fit into place, Tweek the welder, tweek me, and welded it into place

I then tweeked the welder some more, and added the next peice in to fill the gap. I seen to have the welder and me working the way I think it should but There can always be room for improvement.

Practice, practice, practice

It's been really about 10 years since I've done any sheet metal work of any kind and this is the first time I've used this welder since I inherited it from my father inlaw.

Opinions on how to make the welds better are welcome

here is the last pic

I was a proud papa because my son finally took an interest in wanting to work on the car

Charlie

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2010, 07:13:27 PM »
Oh yeah...after that was done today, I started fitting in the new floor pan by making a template but I am reluctant to start cutting for some reason... can't afford to mess it up.

we'll see how things go but i might try to fit the new toe board after I get it cut out. then a flat peice of sheetmetal to fill in the rest of the hole. Some grinding, and feather edging to hide the crappy welds, and then i can move on to the other side
Charlie

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2010, 07:33:28 PM »
you both are doing a fine job.   ;)
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2010, 08:22:49 PM »
Awe thanks Doug...shucks

lol...I need a life
Charlie

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2010, 09:52:24 PM »
So today i did the unthinkable to start my day!!!

I cleaned the garage before I started...wish it would just clean itself

yesterday to end the day off i played with the toeboards that i picked up from a 67-69 FB

I made a template and traced it on the sheetmetal, cut the toeboard in half because it isn't wide enough and most of it i don't need.

here is what it looks like

After I was done cleaning up today I decided to work on the frame mount rather then the toe board. It took me 2 hours of hammering, studying, fitting, more hammering and I started to giggle like a little girl when I got it to fit properly, and now it looks like it should. Deep down i didn't think I would get it right. Figured I was looking for a donar

Just as a reminder the car was in a fender bender and the frame mount was out of alignment.

When I get the mount cleaned up and welded on the car, I will post more pics

thanks for following the thread, it helps keep me motivated
Charlie

Offline 4speed76

« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2010, 09:56:37 PM »
Looks like things are coming along nicely.
1976 T/A project
2009 Honda CRV
2001 Honda Civic

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
Re: The Project - Updated April 22/10
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2010, 09:22:42 PM »
Well it's been over a month since the last update so here we go

I worked on the frame mount, getting it hammered back into respectable shape. Wow what a lot of work! I just about wore it out putting it on the car and taking it off the car but managed to get it right. I had to fix some cracks in the metal which I drilled the ends and then welded them in, Then I coated it with black chassis saver paint. Today I was able to fine tune the fitment and put it on and take it off only about 15 times this time, but once I was satisfied, I pulled out the welder and had at her.

This is what I got for pictures:

this is the mount after I fixed it

cracks I welded

one of the many fitments

Black Chassis saver paint

mount painted and welded on car again

What I forgot to mention and show was all the time I spent cleaning the rust off the mount before I painted it up

Now I have moved onto the floor. I spent a little time trying to get it to fit properly but like the rest of it, it has been a learning process.

We'll see how it goes

Thanks for reading

Charlie

Offline KeePat

• When I finish my T/A I will change my avatar!
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2010, 09:34:56 PM »
Charlie,
Nice metal work!
Pat
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 09:36:32 PM by KeePat »

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2010, 09:39:26 PM »