Author Topic: snake eater  (Read 3816 times)

Offline snake_eater

snake eater
« on: March 23, 2011, 05:36:22 PM »
hi i have a 78 trans am with a 455sd that my uncle put about 12 grand into in 1992 shortly befor he died the car was taken by a freind later to be recoverd by my dad who restarted the project only to hit a hard spot forcing him to park it in the pasture at our house and i made a deal with him that if i restore it i get the car (with the exception that he gets to use it when ever im not) so after sitting for 8yrs it has finaly moved to a garage i will post pics of the car as its being rebuilt from how it sits to finish. the cars interior is rotted completly (az sun) and the starter wont turn the motor over but when placed in 4th gear i can get the motor to move im planing to remove the motor and drop the oil pan (part of the dip stick broke and i fear its in the oil pan) and inspect the bottom end the dyno sheet that i have says 650hp@7200rpm but im told that was with a borrowed carb a ignition set up but it should still have alot of go it is a nitrous motor all the plans i have says it should take a 600hp shot :o but i think this is unrealistic sbut im am going to use a 350hp shot as for exterior work the car is going to be stock looking as possible black with orig decals. ill post pics tonight  to show you guys what im working with
imports suck

Offline Justin

• Lifetime Member
Re: snake eater
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 06:19:35 PM »
Good Luck. Welcome to 78ta. Please do keep us posted and updated with pictures.
Justin
1978 Trans Am W72
1978 Trans Am W72 WS6 Marty
1979 Trans Am WS6 403

Offline kjkjkcjkcj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 06:23:42 PM »
good luck it right those fields do a number on the under carriage.  Would love to see some photos. Welcome to the site.
-1979 Trans Am Ws6, W72 400, holley 650, #62 heads (toy)
-Silverado 1500 (daily driver)

Offline ShakerBreaker

• Adv. Member
  • All Hail Phil Anselmo
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 06:42:39 PM »
Looking forward to seeing your project.
-check out DOWN-NOLA.com

Offline Nexus

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 08:42:02 PM »
Welcome to the site, and I look forward to the build!!
Charlie
1979 - Esprit (21 years and counting)

Offline golfswithglock

• Put that hammer down and give it hell
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 09:59:06 AM »
Welcome aboard. I've never done any work with nitrous. Looking forward to seeing pics. Any mods to the rear end and tranny that you know of?
RAIDER NATION

Offline snake_eater

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 11:15:39 AM »
Welcome aboard. I've never done any work with nitrous. Looking forward to seeing pics. Any mods to the rear end and tranny that you know of?

it has a rock crusher tranny and a really tall gear in the rear end 2nd taps out at 70mph in a old vid my dad tookl with a freind it is a 4 speed i cant wait to drive this myself if only half the stories are true then itll be a pretty quick street car. Does annybody have an idea on where to get the resvers hood scoop (shaker?) that goes into the hole in the hood sorry my language might not be right on im used to motorcycles this will be the first car i really build my self
imports suck

Offline Frode_skj

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
Good luck with the project :) Post some pictures when you get a chance :)
"79 Trans Am tenth Anniversary Edition"
"81 Turbo Trans Am"
Sad to see that people part out T\A's :( especially saveable ones

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 05:34:36 PM »
You're gonna do nitrous shots in an SD block?  That's some very expensive iron you're trying to stretch with NOS. 

Offline Trevon

• That's not leaking oil, it's marking its territory
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 06:20:19 PM »
A 350hp shot of nitrous is still absolutely massive for a street car.  I though about putting a real small shot it my car (50~) but decided against it, I would probably not ever use it and it wrecks a manifold and looks ugly on the engine.  I can't even express how spectacularly large a 600hp shot would be; I've found one online and the car made more than 1300hp.  If the engine made 650 hp without it, the most I would consider going is 200 but some facts seem fishy here, those numbers are outrageous.

USAF Crew Chief

Offline snake_eater

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 12:08:01 PM »
got it running sorry my phone has something wrong with it when i figure it out ill post pics i got it to idel nice and relize it wont idle below 800rpm and at that i sounds like its barly running and falling apart it idles nice at about 1200rpm and it doesnt even sound like it ive been informed that it because of the cam and the current ignition is not enough for this motor deffintly gtting a msd set up and as forr nitrous im going to use a progressive nitrous controller at 350hp the goal is to break 200mph i still havent driven it as the tires on it are a scary enough to put air in much less put some power to them the motor is far from done i still have to get a new dip stick tube (the one on the inside of the motor) carb, ignition, still want to pull the cam and check the numbers and i also want to check the tollerance on the whole motor before i drop the hammer
imports suck

Offline snake_eater

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »
good luck it right those fields do a number on the under carriage.  Would love to see some photos. Welcome to the site.
it was put on a gravel pad that sat 8inches above the actual pasture so the irregation did rust it out and its been in az its whole life so very little rust just lots of sun damage
imports suck

Offline xmoney

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 08:59:30 PM »
I would verify that is a SD block ! If indeed you have an SD engine the last thing you want to do is spray it! Those are Rare engines ( very rare ) And I would'nt even chance a catastrophic failure on a jewel like that! w/ a good re-build by an expert in those engines , good carburetion and good ignition y ;Dou will have monster on pump gas that will flat stand your hair up when you nail it! Nitrous is not the way to go w/ that particular motor. I would build a HO motor ( 455) or a strong 400 In my opinion.  Good Luck ! :o
1979 WS4 4 speed TA, 1981 Camaro, 2007 FJ Cruiser, 1978 Z28, 1980 Z28 TTop,1979 Z28 Parts car, 1981 Camaro Parts car . Just got another 1980 Z28!, 1992 FXDC Harley Custom, 1970 BSA Lightning Bobber, 1982 KZ750 Race bike

Offline 4SPEED

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
  • NFTAC & POCI Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
You're gonna do nitrous shots in an SD block?  That's some very expensive iron you're trying to stretch with NOS. 

thats what I'm screeming....    are you sure it a SD .  theres tons of 455's , only a hand full of SD's.
77 W72 TransAM  (SOLD)
79 TransAM 4SPEED

Offline xmoney

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 09:19:07 PM »
I am not trying to pee on your parade, I am concerned w / the 200 MPH goal . These cars @ about 160 get to be a complete hand full right before you lift the nose off the ground and the steering loses response. I know this because I wanted to push my TA back in the day w/ a 455 HO 4 speed I hit 155 + or -  And it was all I could do to keep it straight and narrow And my car has upgrades in the suspension to  accomadte hi- speed driving believe me!   You should read the articles in HOT ROD mag. about all the body mods done to even approach breaking that barrier. Our cars get too much under them. You have to devise a way to split the air over the nose and under the car ( full Pan under the nose and a spiltter . You are going to have to make down force and lay that rear blade down also. You will have to think safety equip. and speed rated tires and a huge brake package w/ cooling also. There is all kinds of demons that show up around that 150 mark. You are going to have to upgrade every wheel bearing in the car and  really do your home work. I don't want to see any one get hurt or worse!   Just my opinion. Good Luck in your endeavors!!> Jeff
1979 WS4 4 speed TA, 1981 Camaro, 2007 FJ Cruiser, 1978 Z28, 1980 Z28 TTop,1979 Z28 Parts car, 1981 Camaro Parts car . Just got another 1980 Z28!, 1992 FXDC Harley Custom, 1970 BSA Lightning Bobber, 1982 KZ750 Race bike