Author Topic: a bit of work on my 77 TA  (Read 69352 times)

Offline Schroeder

Re: a bit of work on my 77 TA
« Reply #225 on: January 11, 2013, 09:27:35 PM »
Thanks a lot jupiter.  You can tell exactly where my weld seams are.  Every time I tried welding em down flush with the pans and parent metal I'd blow little holes in it.  So I decided just to leave the welds stick up a little bit.  You can tell they're there, but I guess I know they're strong and not too thin.  I have no idea how you guys butt weld stuff up and grind your welds down flush without getting it too thin.  Other than that, I think it turned out great too.  I'm happy.

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #226 on: January 13, 2013, 07:57:28 PM »
Took one door off today.  Gonna go through it next weekend.  Using my harbor freight engine stand as a door cart.  Works well! 

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #227 on: February 08, 2013, 10:37:04 PM »

After I get the radio crap done the new hotchkiss suspension is going in!

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #228 on: February 09, 2013, 10:34:10 AM »
Thanks a lot jupiter.  You can tell exactly where my weld seams are.  Every time I tried welding em down flush with the pans and parent metal I'd blow little holes in it.  So I decided just to leave the welds stick up a little bit.  You can tell they're there, but I guess I know they're strong and not too thin.  I have no idea how you guys butt weld stuff up and grind your welds down flush without getting it too thin.  Other than that, I think it turned out great too.  I'm happy.

I moved down to a thinner wire and it seems to be working great right now. I hope to have another video up in a week

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #229 on: February 10, 2013, 07:42:38 PM »
Jupiter, I tried using .023 wire and I had a hard time feeding it through my big welder.  It worked nice when it would feed.

I spent a lot of time making a bracket to hold 2 4" speakers that will fit in the single middle dash speaker hole in the car. 

Not perfect at all, but it will do.  I just hope it doesn't vibrate or anything.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 07:45:16 PM by Schroeder »

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #230 on: February 10, 2013, 10:58:37 PM »
good stuff!!! keep it coming

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #231 on: February 11, 2013, 01:12:38 PM »
Thanks jup.  I also got the rear 6x9's in.  I cut holes in my package tray because the front of it is chewed up a little.  The speakers are mounted beneath the metal, so when I decided to get a new package tray I'll just throw this one away and get one with speaker grilles in it.  I like the one greenbird has.  I forget who manufactures it.  For now though the speakers' grilles with be visible.  I put fat mat down before I put the speakers in of course.

Sorry, but these pics aren't that great because they were taken with my phone.

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #232 on: February 24, 2013, 08:16:04 PM »
I have been trying to avoid hillbilly fixes in my build and I have done an almost flawless job at it thus far.  I feel like fixing this core support is kinda hillbilly though.  The driver side was rusted half way done and the previous owner BARELY tacked it in place and SERIOUSLY used dum dum or something to put it together.  ABSOLUTELY RETARDED!  FLIMSIER THAN CRAP!  I took that crap off and used some 20ga sheet metal I had left from my floor pans.  It doesn't look stock of course, but I can't afford $200+ on a core support at the moment.  This core has regained its strength and measures up within an 1/8" from side to side.  Here are some pics.  I have to clean it up, seam seal the welds to protect from rust, and paint it yet.  That will come next week.

Here is a close up of what the morons who owned it before me did.

More of my fix

Offline JupiterBandit

« Reply #233 on: February 25, 2013, 12:00:07 AM »
I think you are doing great. You will never see it. Make them strong and you do not have to use seam sealer on them. Just lightly grind the welds a bit and prime and paint.

Are you using gas or flux wire to weld with?

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #234 on: February 25, 2013, 01:49:54 PM »
Thanks jupiter.  It is a lot stronger now.  I thought the same as you, since it is not showing, it does not have to look the best since I'm on a tight budget, but I didn't want it to lose functionality.  I do not think it did. 

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #235 on: March 04, 2013, 07:29:51 PM »
Can anyone tell me where the rubber plugs that hold the firewall insulation pad to the firewall go?  Here is a pic of the available holes. 

Driver side

Passenger side

Also, I have found that this car had a t-roof installed.  It is not original.  I think I woulda done better.  The welding looks shoddy.  There are still scraps of metal that weren't completely trimmed off.  There is light surface rust.  I think I woulda rust proofed it too.  Very disappointing.  Pry why there is a thin layer of bondo on the entire car under the paint.  Here are some pics of the inner sail panels from inside the car. 

Also, does anyone know where I could get a rubber boot like this to replace this on my steering column?  Can you get replacements for these?  Would O'Reily's have it?

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #236 on: May 27, 2013, 09:20:05 PM »
I had a good weekend on the car.  Should be able to finish putting the rear end in tomorrow night.   

Offline gilbertsta

• "Live Like You Are Dying"
« Reply #237 on: May 27, 2013, 09:42:27 PM »
dang dude, your great! 

Offline Schroeder

« Reply #238 on: May 27, 2013, 10:56:30 PM »
thanks man.  I'm trying.  I'm happy with how it all looks and how it's all coming together too.

Offline Jaysen

« Reply #239 on: June 02, 2013, 09:39:55 PM »
I thought about getting dynomat for my car.  But, it's just so overpriced expensive for just a small benefit.  I went with an imitation, el cheapo deluxe matting instead.