Author Topic: Ground Clearance  (Read 3775 times)

Offline 77tagoldenrod

Ground Clearance
« on: August 08, 2006, 08:44:50 AM »
Can anyone tell me what the ground clearance is supposed to be both front and back at the wheels on a 77 TA?  Mine sit's real low and I can't find any data on the subject.
68 Firebird 400 Ram Air (SOLD)
77 Goldenrod Yellow TA (Restoring back to yellow)

Offline kyledyr

• 1981 Trans Am - HydroCarbon powered Eco-Vehicle
Ground Clearance
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 05:42:28 PM »
Well I don't know the real answer but I can give you the Sammy Hagar answer:

"It sits 10 inches off the ground
with a custom plate.
It says I-E-A-T-Z-28."

Haha, sorry.
"If you want me to be eco-friendly, make eco-friendly not suck."
'81 305 Trans Am WS6

Offline ta78w72

• Lifetime Member
Ground Clearance
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 05:51:45 PM »
All of my wheels are on the ground unless I'm racing in San Francisco, then all four can be off the ground at times.

Offline hesster

Ground Clearance
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 07:40:27 PM »
It's called stock trim height, and known as J (Front) and K (Rear) heights.
Rather technical, but:
Front - measure 36.3" back from centerline of the front wheel to the lowest point of the rocker panel under the vehicle.  Measurement is 8.62" for a T/A w/o a 4 sp, 8.66" with a 4 sp.    So - about 8-1/2 ".
Rear - 16.7" forward from the centerline of the rear tire and the height is the same @ 8.5".
This basically says the car should sit flat and parallel @ the bottom of the rocker.  Signbificant changes to this impact alignment.  It is always better to have a little more height in the rear if anything - this is why people lower their front ends by using different front springs, and replacing the front sub frame bushings with solid 1/2" aluminum bushings.  Again, jacking up a car impacts the instant center, anti squat, handling, alignment, etc.  Find some old Herb Adams literature and study up.