Author Topic: Build a Bandit  (Read 398635 times)

Offline tawidow

Re: Build a Bandit
« Reply #1350 on: May 28, 2013, 02:35:53 PM »
lol Bob and his gang will eventually be forced into an alias like that since they keep making new aliases.  Didn't somebody say that the IRS was "looking into" him too for failing to pay his taxes for a few years?  Good question about why no one else has been charged.  They all knew what they were doing was illegal.  The employees even had the nerve to tell victims about it - laughing the whole time.

The good news is that once the authorities are handed Bob, Bob will squeal like the little pig that he is.  He will go down naming every single scumbag under the sun that helped him trying to get himself the best deal possible.  Even better news is that the crimes he's charged with have a sentence up to 29 1/2 years and that's just for amounts over $100,000.  I wonder what the sentence is for amounts over $1 million.

I'd think that anyone connected to this should fess up now and try to walk away with less time.  They have to know that Bob likes to name names.  There's even a reward for information leading up to Bob's arrest (call the Criminal Investigation Division at 828-255-5555 or Crime Stoppers at 828-255-5050 or email tips @ abcrimestoppers.org)

Erica's number is 828-206-1118. She also uses 828-338-0137 which had been her baby boy's number. They're still using the business phone of 828-275-1584 - Classic Cars.  They're still trying to swindle people!!!  The phone messages are being picked up.  Little Zak's mailbox is filled at 828-768-0707.

Offline RainMan

• Lifetime Member
  • Rick
« Reply #1351 on: May 28, 2013, 02:49:53 PM »
Wow TA you sure do your homework

Offline Just Eddie

« Reply #1352 on: May 28, 2013, 04:33:39 PM »
It's taken me quite awhile to go through this thread and I never saw anything like this. I think this thread was a great service to the Trans Am community and hopefully no one else will be swindled by that POS, but I know that's wishful thinking. Still the more a potential buyer is informed of fraud and deception, the better it is for all of us in the classic car hobby and community.

tawidow, I'm sorry for not only the loss of your husband, but the stress and anger in dealing with BAB. I admire your guts and determination in not letting go and be a silent victim. I have no doubt your spotlight on Bob and his gang of thieves has not only pissed him off to no end, but has prevented more victims from falling into his trap.

Keep up the pressure and as a Trans Am owner myself, I thank you and who ever on this board made this thread possible.

Offline Flounder55

« Reply #1353 on: May 28, 2013, 06:15:22 PM »
Ta widow has certainly been the tip of the spear! This thread was actually started by JGodar and picked up by me and now is being carried on by Carol. It's been a group effort as there was a group effort here. I also am a victim but my wait is almost over has my car has been promised to be done by 6/15. You can see the progress on Flounder55 build under restorations.

Offline Just Eddie

« Reply #1354 on: May 28, 2013, 08:04:40 PM »
Ta widow has certainly been the tip of the spear! This thread was actually started by JGodar and picked up by me and now is being carried on by Carol. It's been a group effort as there was a group effort here. I also am a victim but my wait is almost over has my car has been promised to be done by 6/15. You can see the progress on Flounder55 build under restorations.

I checked out the progress of your car on that thread, not too long ago and it looks great. I especially love to see 2nd gen TA's restored and your car will certainly turn heads. It's great that you were able to turn that nightmare around from BAB and get it built the way it should have been. Some people would have thrown in the towel and had no choice but to walk away.

Offline kjkjkcjkcj

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1355 on: May 28, 2013, 08:50:57 PM »
Lets not foreget there was another thread before this that was almost 80 pages long as well!
-1979 Trans Am Ws6, W72 400, holley 650, #62 heads (toy)
-Silverado 1500 (daily driver)

Offline tawidow

« Reply #1356 on: May 28, 2013, 10:45:24 PM »
Thanks Eddie.  I wish I could take all the credit and there weren't another 70-100 fellow victims out there out over $1.5 million.  Joe, George, and a legion of others were here long before me.  I think that my situation just allowed me to see the truth a lot sooner than most and everyone got to see what kind of  lowlives bob and his crew really are by speaking up about it.   There have been at least a dozen more victims after me in just the 8 months he was still pretending to do a business.  I'm at about the 90% mark for the victims we know about.

It's amazing, but some people are still hesitant to file complaints with the authorities.  They think that either 1) He was doing the best he could (delirium and serious medication would be needed for me to ever believe this line of BS) or 2) What would one more name do to this huge list?  Why bother? I'd like to forget the whole thing ever happened and get on with my life. (He's still got a functioning phone line for Classic Cars - he's still trying to con people!)

Offline Flounder55

« Reply #1357 on: May 31, 2013, 04:49:28 PM »
KJ your right, there were several threads regarding BAB. Several victims started a thread and then kinda fell by the wayside. I actually PROMISED everybody on here that I would follow this all the way through and let you guys know what the outcome was one way or the other.

I asked brett ( Hitman) to move the thread as the lawyer that I had at the time requested it.

As I said there were several victims on this site. Most of them kinda faded away. I'm in touch with several. I guess Bob singled me out as the reason he filed banckruptcy was because ( at the time) I was the most vocal. In fact it was a joint effort from me ,Carol ( TA Widow) and the whole 78TA.com site that helped get the word out about BAB and caused Bob's bussiness to wither on the vine.
 The authoroties were of little help then and are only MARGINALLY helpful now! Had they done a more thorough investigation it would have been obvious that Bob's bussiness was a house of cards ( ponzi scheme) and should have shut him down 50 victims ago!
  Not sure where the Authoroties in this investigation but my hope is they they finally are closing in on Bob and his cohorts! Make no mistake! There were several people that KNOWINGLY helped perpitrate this fraud. I hope some civil action can be brought against them as well !

Offline Squirrel

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Dan
« Reply #1358 on: June 01, 2013, 08:22:25 PM »
on another note i met joe godar today at a local car show he had his ta in.  i got there very late as everyone was leaving and did not get much of a chance to speak with him but his ta is looking great.  i bet i will run into him again as he is local to me and look forward to hearing his story.  he had a " i survived build a bandit" t shirt on, pretty funny.  it was on and off rain today so i did not bring my ta out. 
1978 Chesterfield Brown TA
1977 Camaro 4 speed with t tops
1977 Mustang Cobra II

Offline Flounder55

« Reply #1359 on: June 01, 2013, 10:43:27 PM »
Yeah! I need to get me one of those T-shirts.  I promised Joe I'd visit in August to show him my car. Also want to take in the Nats while I'm there.

Offline tawidow

« Reply #1360 on: June 01, 2013, 11:05:30 PM »
Do you think a judge would let us all wear t-shirts like that to their court appearances?  It'd be nice to see a sea of them every time one of the losers are trying to say they're innocent.  I got a chance to speak at Erica again today.  She claimed again that she had nothing to do with any of it.  Funny that her bank account had everything to do with it and she was talking people through the bank transfers and contracts just a few months ago.  I guess the 70+ people that have shared their independent information are all lying and she's the only one telling the truth.  That's way more likely.  I really cannot wait for these losers to be in jail.  Her number again for anyone who'd like her to explain things to them is 828-206-1118.

That's great that Joe's already at car shows just a week after getting everything fixed.  You guys all sound like hard core car fanatics.  It's good to hear that some are able to enjoy what many look at as nightmares too far gone to bother with.

Offline johnc9909

« Reply #1361 on: June 01, 2013, 11:32:07 PM »
This whole thing is and was a nightmare for all of us. Even though some of us got cars we have had to sink thousands of more dollars into them to make them drive-able and right. I guess you could say there are different degrees in the depth of those nightmares. They all  knew what they were doing and hopefully they will all have to pay. I just don't know what they are waiting for in picking those criminals up.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:01:08 AM by johnc9909 »

Offline jgodar

• Build A Bandit Survivor..kinda
« Reply #1362 on: June 03, 2013, 03:13:32 PM »
Squirrel, it was nice to meet you too! Short but sweet! It was funny that you where there at the show and have been on here the whole time. I know you had to go talk to your buddy but lets meet up again here in town soon. Love to see your car and show you what mine has turned into. Like John said, we had to really go thru 2 builds.. but we are coming out OK in the long run all things considered.

I did get some shirts made for a few of us.. let me know if anyone else wants one. I did wear it to the show and it makes for a great story..I can see if we can get some more.

Here is a pic of the Trophy the car won this past weekend. First time at a show! Hope more to come!

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/603135_471824346231176_1436121972_n.jpg

Offline Flounder55

« Reply #1363 on: June 03, 2013, 03:16:34 PM »
To All Members!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got this in an Email today from the NCDOJ. It's late...but better late than never!!!!!!!!!!!!

>>>>> 

AG Cooper slams the breaks on “Smokey and the Bandit” car seller

Consumers from around the world lost more than $2.2 million to scheme

Raleigh: A Buncombe County man who claimed to sell classic Pontiac Trans Ams has been ordered to stop taking orders and advance deposits for automobile restoration in North Carolina, Attorney General Roy Cooper announced today.

The Trans Am was made popular by the 1977 hit movie Smokey and the Bandit, starring Burt Reynolds and Sally Fields.

“Promising consumers a custom car, taking their money and then leaving them high and dry is no way to do business,” Cooper said. “We want to stop bandits from making off with people’s money.”

On Thursday afternoon, Wake County Superior Court Judge Howard Manning agreed with Cooper’s request for a temporary restraining order against Robert Allen McElreath and his businesses Build-a-Bandit, Pick a Pony, Pontiac Pros, Common Man Classic Hot Rods and Discount Automotive Classic Restorations with addresses at 1040C Old US 70 in Black Mountain and 3082 Cane Creek Road in Fairview. Cooper is seeking to permanently ban the company from auto restoration work in North Carolina and win refunds for consumers and civil penalties.

McElreath also faces arrest on related felony charges. Twenty-six warrants have been issued against McElreath for obtaining property by false pretenses and it is believed that McElreath has left the state to avoid arrest.

As alleged in Cooper’s complaint, McElreath advertised his “Smokey and the Bandit” cars on Internet auction sites such as eBay. Consumers who bid on restored Bandit cars at auction but didn’t win got a follow up call from McElreath offering them a car at a discounted price. Consumers who signed a written contract were asked to immediately wire thousands of dollars before work could begin. Once the wire transfer went through, consumers reported that they had trouble reaching McElreath and very little work, if any, ever got done. Consumers complained that they never got their cars and couldn’t get their money back.

According to an affidavit filed with Cooper’s lawsuit, a Florida man who paid McElreath $15,500 to fully restore a 1978 Trans Am using the consumer’s own Pontiac 400 engine spent more than a year and a half waiting for his car before deciding to confront McElreath in person. When he arrived at McElreath’s shop accompanied by a local police officer, he discovered that the car was little more than an empty shell. An inspection revealed that the car was missing more than $9,000 worth of parts.

Since June 2012, Cooper’s Consumer Protection Division has received 52 written complaints from consumers from as far away as Australia who signed contracts with McElreath for automobile restoration but never got what they were promised. Based on information gathered during the investigation, since 2009 consumers have paid more than $2.2 million to McElreath for restorations that were never satisfactorily completed.

“No matter how much you want it or how good the deal seems, it’s not a good idea to pay upfront, especially by wire transfer,” said Cooper. “Check out a company thoroughly before you agree to give them your money.”

To check out a company or file a complaint against one, consumers can call1-877-5-NO-SCAM toll-free within state. Consumers can also file a complaint online at www.ncdoj.gov.

http://www.ncdoj.gov/News-and-Alerts/News-Releases-and-Advisories/Press-Releases/AG-Cooper-slams-the-breaks-on--Smokey-and-the-Band.aspx

Noelle Talley

Public Information Officer

Attorney General Roy Cooper

N.C. Department of Justice

Desk: (919) 716-6484

After hours: (919) 218-1255

ntalley@ncdoj.gov

www.ncdoj.gov

Offline jmurray878

« Reply #1364 on: June 03, 2013, 04:19:12 PM »
Somebody's going to the pokey....  Assuming they can find the rat bastard!
Jim
Mayan Red '79 T/A
Atlantis Blue '79 Formy

"I'm you're Huckleberry"