Author Topic: 1975 Pontiac Trans Am 400/auto  (Read 5718 times)

Offline TAluvr

1975 Pontiac Trans Am 400/auto
« on: January 21, 2007, 07:20:04 PM »
Figured I would ask the pros opinions here. Have a chance to get a silver with burgundy/red interior 1975 Trans Am has a few small issue but mostly just needs some mechanical love, it has 135k miles and seems to run pretty well other than the fact that the rear main seal is leaking the car is 100% original owned by the same owner since new. The biggest issues I see with the car is the front bumper the rubber center insert that wraps around the fender has been torn off on the passenger side. Will I be able to find a replacement for this? Heres a example photo to show you what I mean

SEE HOW THE BLACK RUBBER CENTER INSERT WRAPS AROUND THE  FENDER, THATS THE PART IM CONCERNED ABOUT. THIS PHOTO IS NOT THE CAR IM LOOKING AT BUYING ONLY USED AS SHOWING THE BUMPER PART.

What opinions do you have regarding future value? The cost as she sits is $10,000 runs decent, is 100% complete and the dash is perfect in every way, the dash gauges look new along with the bezel. The car has AC PS PB PW Rear Window defroster. I also know there were over 20k sold with automatics. Think this will have any value in time to make it worth spending the 10 grand now? Nada gives it a value of low 8910 Average 21030  High Retail 29310 . I'm curious if these are realistic numbers

Come on guys need some opinions on this one!

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 02:03:36 AM »
I dunno about value because that is up and down with the market and the specific buyer who wants it.  From what I know, the part isn't reproduced.  Your best bet would be to start searching eBay or find someone parting out a 74/75 car.  I've seen people who swap the entire 74/75 front end for a 70-73 front end, so there could be some out there.  Hitman or JasonD might have a better opinion of where to find one as both of them are in the resto business.

Offline TAluvr

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 11:34:53 AM »
Thanks for the reply Rick. Yeah I'm thinking I'm going to let this one go, the hardest thing is other than the bumper piece the car is almost perfect. I don't want to buy this car and have to change the front end, it defeats the purpose of restoring it. I live in Phoenix and we just had Barrett-Jackson and Russo and Steel auctions and it got my blood going.

Does anyone have the front bumper stuff we are talking about for a 75?

Offline TAluvr

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 01:00:22 PM »
Does anyone know what that specific part is called? Man I cant believe only one person responds to this.

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 01:08:36 PM »
Unfortunately, that's because 74/75 TAs are the step-children of the make.  Oh there's a few people who give the 74 its due, but that's because you COULD get a 455 SD and if it doesn't have at least a 455 then it's worthless.  The 75s are true orphans because the 455 was gone (except for a very few 455 station wagon engines at the end of the run) and becauase the TH400 wasn't used (needed more room for the catalytic converter, so shifted to the TH350).

To directly answer your question, I think that is actually the bumper.  I've heard it called the bumper rub strip also.  Brett, JasonD, or Joe Bays  could tell you for sure.

Rick ---> who feels lonely as the owner of a 400/4 speed 75 TA at times...

Offline Hitman

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
    • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 05:36:10 PM »
they call it in the parts catalog as the "Front Bumber Bar (Black Urethane)".  Sometimes they also call it the front bumper bar and guard.  I can post a photo from the catalog if you need me to.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
1978 Trans Am

Offline TAluvr

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 11:20:25 AM »
Can this be purchased after market repro?

Geez so glad your back up, yesterday I thought maybe you had given up on the site I was sad!

So you think buying this TA is a total waste of effort? Car really is solid, 1 owner car and smooth as silk driving it down the road, NO T-TOPS! Yahoo!

T-tops are cool but they take there toll on a old cars suspension and frame.