Author Topic: What's It Worth??  (Read 5050 times)

Offline bandit nz

• 81 T Top 06 T/A Nat show, place winner.
Re: What's It Worth??
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 07:36:51 PM »
I have a friend here in NZ that has a full time business doing this, he also manufactures wheels for Hot Rods, motor racing and drag cars  ;D
you can visit his website at www.arrowwheels.co.nz
Lance has been doing this for over 20 years now.

Damage repair basicly depends on how and where it is damaged.
Most damage occurs to the bead or outer rim for obvious reasons, depending on the extent of damage, it can either be milled out, run out on a truing mill or cut out and a piece from a doner wheel grafted (welded) in and then the wheel refinnished.

The most common repair is where a chunk has been ripped out of the outer bead, in this case they just build up the area again by filling it with alloy weld, then they put the wheel on a mill and machine it, to match the rest of the rim.

After this, its a matter truing and balancing the rim, the rim can then be matched to finnish, with polishing or machining and presto wheel like new.

The above is of course for alloy and magnesium wheels, steel rims are a slightly easier proposition.
These can be hammerd straight, and trued and often dont require welding.

Easy if ya know how and have the gear eh  ;) ;) ;) ;) 
"What we have here, is a complete lack o' respect for the law"
It's only speeding, if you get caught...
Bandit NZ (Stu)
81 T Top Bandit

trancelgic

Re: What's It Worth??
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 04:58:04 PM »
LOL!

I wasn't expecting anyone to have a smelter or anything, I was just curious if aluminum is somehow welded into place or something..  I'm claiming ignorance because I don't know anything about that stuff...

I won't say it,
But you "send" it to a wheel shop.

George  8)