Author Topic: T/A value opnion's needed  (Read 3808 times)

Offline GK_STAR

T/A value opnion's needed
« on: February 12, 2008, 07:17:45 AM »
Ok.....I'm looking at a standard model 79 T/A and it's had an engine swap. It now has a good running 455 (year unknown) in it with an automatic Tranny. Does this hurt or help the value of it? The T/A would cost me $5000, It needs some work but it's a pretty solid car. What do ya think? It's for sale here in MN and I'm planning on looking at it later this week (it's 250 miles from me) but was wondering about the engine swap before I go down there. Here are the pictures...

But Hey...Thats just Me..I could be Wrong
Greg

78 T/A 403ci Olds
80 T/A 350ci Olds Rocket
78 Indy Pace Car Vette
64 Olds 88 2 Door Hardtop 394ci

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
Re: T/A value opnion's needed
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 07:23:48 AM »
Greg, to me just the fact that it's not the stock engine raises questions.  Properly done, I think it would be an asset to the car.  But was it properly done?  What areas would need attention to make it run right?  What other things besides the engine got changed, and how?  It's not a consideration in your area (IIRC), but how would this swap affect your ability to get the car licensed in CA or parts of the east coast that are concerned with emissions controls?  So  I think at best an engine swap like that is a wash as far as value of the car -- not a big boost because of possible problems mentioned, but not a huge ding in that if it's done well enough it would make the car more fun to drive.  Just my initial thoughts... :-\

Offline GK_STAR

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 07:39:03 AM »
Thanks Rick.....I'm not thinking of it adding value to it I'm worried about it lowering the value.....20 years ago I would have loved to have the bigger engine but these days I'm more interested in appearance then getting speeding tickets  ;) in fact if I buy the car I'm sorta thinking about finding a 400 or 403 (whichever is correct for it) to put back in it and selling the 455. According to the guy it was "Done Right" but who knows until I see it. He says the car needs a battery, lite exhaust work, headliner & door sag issues done on it. I know there will be more but thats what he fesses up to so far. I'm also concerned about that left quarter....he said it was rust free but after he sent these pictures to me it looks like rust on the lower section to me.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 07:42:23 AM by GK_STAR »
Greg

78 T/A 403ci Olds
80 T/A 350ci Olds Rocket
78 Indy Pace Car Vette

Offline Rick

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 07:44:47 AM »
Yeah...LOL...either that's rust or a very clear stick-on that looks very realistic.  It could be OK but I'd sure give it a hard look if I were you. :)

Offline kentuckyyeti

• Administrator
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 08:35:12 AM »
79 automatic would be a 403.  And that is the exception to the rule.  Bt far, the most common T/A to be found is a the 79 auto 403 cars.  This, just going by personal experience, is also the lowest priced of the larger CID T/A's, selling basically in the same class as the 80/81 non-turbo 301 cars.  I've had a few over the years, and a transplanted 455 in a 79 has always brought quite a bit over the stock 403.  Same for the 80/81 non-turbo cars.   As far as value, I don't think it makes a bit of difference on a 79 auto whether it has the original engine, or another 403 pricewise.  A 400 Poncho or a 455 anything will increase the value.  Just my opinion though.

Offline rkellerjr

• Ohio Firebirds
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 08:45:03 AM »
I'm also concerned about that left quarter....he said it was rust free but after he sent these pictures to me it looks like rust on the lower section to me.

Its probably the pic but that quarter looks pretty rough.  Looks like rust near the bottom and the quarter looks wavy as well.  I'd take a small magnet as well to see where you might find any bondo.
Rich

Offline LOMILETA

• Global Moderator
  • Adv. Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 09:24:32 AM »
Rust, yes. I would be worried about the paint, if you look at the rear spoiler, it is flaking off. ( not prepped right) You will definitly have to paint the entire car, as you most likely not be able to match the color. I think 5k is alot considering all of this, but you have to see the car in person.
1978 TA-462 ci Buick (just sold)
1980 Turbo Formula
1995 Grand Prix
2002 TA convertible

Offline GK_STAR

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 09:58:29 AM »
Living here in the Great White North rust is always a concern (Freakin salt) so I would NEVER buy a car sight unseen around these parts. The car is close to my Folks house so making the trip is no problem  (gives me a reason to enjoy Moms Home cooking  ;) ) I plan on calling him back to clarify the "Solid Car" issue, I have ZERO interest in fixing RUST. Wise people up here hibernate our Baby's in the winter but as we all know.......GOD must loves Stupid people......He makes lots of them. When I went down to my folks for Christmas I saw a beautiful early 70's Corvette toolin down the Interstate  :o I understand that circumstances sometimes dictate such things but still. Oh well....thanks everybody for your input.   
Greg

78 T/A 403ci Olds
80 T/A 350ci Olds Rocket
78 Indy Pace Car Vette

Offline Mwieczorek

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 03:11:03 PM »
Is it just me, or does that look like a hole behind the wheel in the left quarter close up?

I'm with Kentuckyeti, a 455 should be more valuable than a 403.  My '80 is running a 400, and I'm pretty sure its worth more now than if it had the stock 301 (all other things about the car being equal).  It might not thrill the purists, but anyone with a hearbeat has to admit that a 400 powered T/A is more fun to drive than a 301 powered T/A!  Same applies to the car you're looking at.

Matt
Doing what the factory didn't is the essence of hot-rodding.

Offline jjr

• Tech Staff
  • Fort Worth, Texas
    • The 301 Garage
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 03:48:14 PM »
It might not thrill the purists, but anyone with a hearbeat has to admit that a 400 powered T/A is more fun to drive than a 301 powered T/A! 

Matt, I've got both a 400-4spd TATA and a number of 301 and 301Turbo cars, and to me they are all "fun" to drive.

In fact, I even have "fun" running my 1987 4cyl Fiero around - particularly when gas goes north of $3.00/gallon...

Heartbeat is fine too. <grin>

Joe R

1979 10th Aniv 400/4spd
1980 Black SE 301NA
1980 Indy Turbo Pace 301T
1981 Turbo 301T
1981 Black SE 301T
1981 Daytona Pace 301T
www.301garage.com